Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

likes me some snappa!

Options
stike
stike Posts: 15,597
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
wife bought a fresh whole red snapper yesterday. surprised me that it was $20. is that typical? ...$10 a pound?

anyway.
made a vinaigrette of fresh lime juice, olive oil, and cilantro. brushed that on the fish and some mango. salted and peppered both, then on to the grill on a raised grid, direct, maybe 400 degrees.

served topped with some additional diced fresh mango and cilantro. fresh corn on the cob (as a new-englander, i still get suspicious of corn-onna-cob in May. more like "con on the cob" sometimes).

I also had a premature gin-n-tonic. or three. not quite warm enough to be drinking gin. almost had tequila. would have gone better with the snapper, frankly. in time, though. there's always tomorra.

here's a cuppla pics. pre-grill, and post. drizzled the mango and snapper with more vinaigrette after it came offa the grill.
pretty looking cook.

snapper_pre.jpg

snapper_post.jpg

the grilled mango had a much more sublte flavor. was very interesting. i'm thankful we saved some diced mango to add back on top when serving, because nuthin beats fresh mango, but the grilled stuff was very good.

forgot to add, both the mango and snapper got a little love from some coconut shell smoke, and some guava (thanks greg!) i love lofting some smoke into the neighbors yard as he grills his bbq-sauced chicken breasts over gas. "whatcha cooking stike?" "oh, just whole red snapper over coconut shell and guava. how about you?"

man. we can be such pains in the grill
ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Good lookin fish, wish we could get fresh seafood here. -RP
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    You should be able to.

I hear a song on the radio all the time about oceanfront property in Arizona..... :pinch:

Seriously though, if you have any Asian markets they almost always have live seafood. They will clean and fillet fish to order here.
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    Was hopping ya would post some pics of that snapper you was talking about yesterday. VERY nice looking cook. I love mangos and have never tryed them with fish but have seen several people do that. Got to try soon. Love to eat them raw. Just them dang "threads" in'em. My choppers are real tight and always got to have some floss handy or they'll drive me crazeyer than I all ready am! :laugh:
    I love it when the wind is out of the north. Blows the smoke toward the small community behind my place. Sever of them got gassers as I'll see them on them as I pass. You know the wife's just looking at them when that north wind brings them a small sniff of utopia! B)
    Got to go pick me up some baby backs. Time to burn
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    Fish looks great! Mango is always a favorite.
    If you fish for snapper in the gulf, they only let you take two home. It'll be getting more expensive soon, I'm afraid.
  • AlaskanC
    AlaskanC Posts: 1,346
    Options
    I dunno if $10/lb is normal. Fresh king salmon is going for $14.99/lb at the grocery store here.
    In your case you get to pay $10/lb for the head & fins too!! MMMMmm!!!

Oh well, its cheaper than going out fishing!
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    Years ago I went fishing with a guy from church and his friend. There were four of us and we split the gas 4 ways. From memory I paid 50 dollars to puke my guts out for 12 hours. I figure that would be about a 150 or so now.
  • Fidel
    Options
    I just rolled over to the asian farmers market and bought me two red snapper for dinner tonight. I paid $5.99 a pound and they were swimming an hour ago.

This place is cool. Pick your fish from the tank and they clean it to order on the spot.
  • stike
    Options
    you'll want to save some vinaigrette. don't put it all on the fish befor it cooks. after you slide each serving off onto the plate, drizzle some of the vinaigrette over top, with some reserved fresh mango and cilantro. cooked skin-on, the fish itself won't pick up any of the seasoning or smoke. salt and pepper to taste, too.
  • Fidel
    Options
    I had these fish scaled by the fishmonger.

I still plan to use that lime/evoo/cilantro dressing. Sounds tasty.
  • stike
    Options
    mine were scaled too, but the skin is still there.

the skin stuck to the grid, but man it looked like it would be a nice crispy skin. if you can save it, all the better.

remember, fish skin is waterproof! smoke and seasoning ain't getting thru. thought the smoke smelled great when i had it going.

if you eat the skin, of course, you'll get the smoke and seasoning, but mine came off.