Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BBQ Guru Question

Options
TJP
TJP Posts: 20
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi all - I am considering getting a BBQ Guru, or something similar for longer cooks. I don't envision using it more than 10-12 times a year, so I don't need something over the top. Can someone recommend a good "entry level" temp control device with wireless capabilities? Is the standard BBQ Guru product the best?

Thanks!

Comments

• Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    I'm using one of their products, the DigiQ II, for slow cooks, and it is really one of my favorite pieces of gear to use when cooking in that manner. I wish that I had mine when it was cold weather, because I used to have to go out there and check the temps manually before I hooked up with the Q.

As a matter of fact, I used it today (all day) to cook the brisket while I was at work. It doesn't hook up to a computer or anything like that, but it does perform as advertised.
  • Firetruck
    Firetruck Posts: 2,679
    Options
    I have a Guru II and love it. I cooked the night before mothers day for 16 hrs straight. Every time I looked out the window the digital read 230.

Can't go wrong with it.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    When you throw wireless in there you automatically go to high end. The Pitminder from BBQ Guru does a great job of maintaining the pit temp. I use it most of the time even though I have the competitor which preceded the digiQ. -RP
  • Mahi-Mahi
    Mahi-Mahi Posts: 162
    Options
    I really enjoy my pro 4 and today I really enjoyed it. I live on a lake and the winds were running 30 mph. Even with the Guru I could see the Guru change fan settings to keep the temperature even. It allows me to sit in the house and monitor the progress of the pit temp and three temps of the meat.

It has some really great features and is easy to use. One is that you can keep track of the time of the cook and it also has a cook and hold feature that drops the pit temp as the meat gets closer to desired temp.

I think if a person wanted something cheaper, anything that just maintains the pit temp would be great.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    While they are not wireless I recommend the DigiQ II. I have used them in two competitions now and they have performed beyond expectations.

They learn your cooker fast and maintain the temp even in cold weather. Friday night in Danville was extremely windy. My DigiQ II maintained the temp right on target.

Hearing the alarms on the DigiQ II inside can easily be accomplished with a baby monitor. Leave the transmitter near the DigIQ and put the receiver inside. However, I trust them enough to worry about it.

My son made the statement Friday night that one of these days I am going to trust the DigiQ enough to let everyone sleep. I told him I already do, but what I don't trust is the DgiQ II staying put. While I wasn't worried about my fellow competitors I was worried about John Q Public. Danville is held right in the middle of town and we were right close to the street.
  • Ross in Ventura
    Ross in Ventura Posts: 7,234
    Options
    DSCN2301.jpg
    I love my Digi II it even works in the wind and rain.
    My Best,
    Ross
  • BierMugg
    BierMugg Posts: 42
    Options
    Pro 4 works great. Only problem with the remote is that it only works line of sight with the base unit. The signal Does not go thru walls to well. In my House My remote is no more than 30 feet away from the base unit and i keep losing the signal.

George
  • Uncle Phil
    Uncle Phil Posts: 669
    Options
    I have the ProCom 4 and it is an outstanding product. I have had all the controlers that they make (Currently testing the DigiQ) and one this is certain, what ever controller you purchase from them, they are 100% behind it and you!
    The ProCom 4 does have a 600' line of sight range. I have used it throughout my home and have not lost signal through walls as indicated in another post. I have found it most reliable. I did a video on the ProCom4 that may help you with your decision.
    Here is the link:

http://homepage.mac.com/philhanna/Food/iMovieTheater248.html

Uncle Phil
  • BierMugg
    BierMugg Posts: 42
    Options
    Uncle Phil,

Please help me what am i doing wrong? my procom 4 base unit is 15 feet from my remote in my kitchen reading thru a glass patio door. if i move it 5 feet out of the line of sight it does not read. I called BBQ GURU and told me it has to be in the line of sight. I agree it is a great product but i have to be careful where in my house i put the remote unit.

George
  • Uncle Phil
    Uncle Phil Posts: 669
    Options
    Hi George:

Well, technically, the transmitter is FM and that would be line-of-sight transmission. My thought is the transmitter needs to be checked. There is a chance is could be slightly off frequency or not transmitting at optimal power or even a defective antenna in either the transmitter or receive unit. I would ask the Guru folks if you could return the unit for a bench test. Mine works fine. Occasionally, I will block the signal and get the alarm, but moving the device a few inches normally restores the signal. I have monitored my pit from across the street at a neighbors and in most of the rooms in my home.

Phil
  • BBQ Bob Trudnak
    Options
    That can be taken care of. Email us with your serial #

BBQ Bob Trudnak
    The BBQ guru