Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Howdy All - New to the Forum

Options
pplkook
pplkook Posts: 54
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Howdy All

New to the forum. Have been looking at/for a "Egg" style cooker for a couple years now. Dealer in San Jose (CA) had a CL add for a pretty good discount so last Friday I picked up a Large Egg.

Before Friday, I was a charcoal snob (no gas) and loved my Weber. My Weber is a distant memory after this weekend - kind of like getting the training wheels taken off of your bike, with no thought of ever putting them back on.

I loaded the Egg up with lump, lit it, and walked away like I normally do. OMG - this it gets hot quick! Needless to say one of my first mods is going to be doing the Rutland gasket thing. The inside 1/2 of my felt is torched. Reading the forum, looks like I made newbie mistake number 1.

Sunday did the Cooks Illustrated BBQ Cuban Pork, for a party, and it was AWESOME. The temperature control of the Egg is beyond expectations. No more fussing around, and unfortunately no more excuses for the wife why I have to be at home and hover around the BBQ with a beer in hand! I usually do the Thanksgiving/Xmas dinner for the extended family (large family) and do a 7 bone rib roast or turkey. I cant wait till the holidays this year (will a full 7 boner fit)?

Now it is time to get all of the accessories! What are the preferred online shops? Any local dealers (the one where I bough mine was low on accessories) in the South Bay Area?

Anyway - I will take some pics next time.

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    eggaccessories.com all the stuff to hold/stack/direct/indirect cook

lawn ranger tools---- these are not a requirement in order to cook, but they sure are neat to have and to use
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Get a hold of Smitty, he'll fix you up. -RP
    http://eggsbythebay.com/Big_Green_Egg.html
  • Salty Dog
    Salty Dog Posts: 89
    Options
    Welcome aboard. You will want a plate setter for sure if you haven't done that yet.
  • Biscuit
    Biscuit Posts: 208
    Options
    Welcome to the madness.. Just had a guy tell me about his weekend plans in the mountains with his sweetheart.She told him they had DELUXE acommadations with a hot tub,flat screen and a deck with a gas grill.He quips back " What? No EGG. That's not deluxe.
    Hope she has a sense of humor.
  • pplkook
    pplkook Posts: 54
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies. I have a plate setter, ash tool, rolling nest, and a grate lifter. Will need a roasting rack (the one I have is too big, already tried), cast iron grill, pizza stone, cover, and the stuff from eggaccessories looks pretty cool (woo2 or the extender haven't decided).

pplkook
  • Dan in StL
    Dan in StL Posts: 254
    Options
    Welcome! Like you I was a long time Weber charcoal user and now the thing still sits on the patio but is mainly a storage area for EggStuff.

It sounds like you're off to a great start. I don't know if you seen this yet or not, but if you haven't I think it's tremendously helpful for someone who's still getting acquainted with their Egg:

http://nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm

There's much more to the Naked Whiz's web site than just the FAQ. But the FAQ is a great compilation of info on techniques for using the Egg.

You may also want to get a look at the various tables that folks have built. There are excellent plans to go along with it.

Good luck and enjoy!
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Just wanted to say welcome. The journey has just begun.

Happy cookin'.
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • eafo
    eafo Posts: 96
    Options
    welcome to the cult!

i love the fact that i can get my egg up to 650 degrees in less then 10 minutes with as much work as it took to fire up my old gas grill.
  • Smokin Tiger
    Smokin Tiger Posts: 352
    Options
    I haven't owned a gas grill for over 20 years. Like you I have only used charcoal. Going from a charcoal grill to an egg is a huge upgrade with only one downside. You had better get a good pair of running shoes and be ready to use them :laugh: :laugh:

This forum is a great source of information and inspiration for all.

Hang on to that Weber, they work great for storing your egg stuff! :P

Enjoy and welcome to the club!

TC