Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Butt/Thermo Calibration

Options
CaptainChili
CaptainChili Posts: 13
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Last week I posted that I had cooked a 6 or 7 pound butt. Cooked indirect with platesetter, dome temp 225-250, and reached internal temp measured by Taylor remote thermometer of 196. I then pulled the butt which was done but much earlier than the cooking times I see many of you experience. The meat was cooked but not very tender and certainly not very "pullable". I did wrap it in a towel and placed it in a cooler for a couple hours as well. This all happened in approx 4 and 1/2 hours. Several suggested checking the thermo calibration which sounded good to me. I just finished the calibration. In rapidly boiling water, the BGE thermometer was right on the money just a little over 210 and the remote read 210. Given these readings I don't believe I can fault either of the thermometers. Any other ideas out there? The only thing I know to do is try again, I have three more butts in the freezer. Thanks for any assistance

Comments