Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dome Thermometer

Options
Bacchus
Bacchus Posts: 6,019
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My BGE thermometer is reading 100deg or slightly higher with no fire.
Is this normal?
Can they be recalibrated?
How can I determine it's accuracy?
I am considering either a replacement dome thermometer or a dual probe remote unit using one probe for grill temp. Any thoughts?

thanks!

RB

Comments

• Chef in the Making
    Options
    They can be recalibrated by adjusting the nut on the back of the probe. To check for accuracy place it in boiling water and it should read 212 degrees. When I check for accuracy I use a second a thermometer just to see how close both are.
  • Firetruck
    Firetruck Posts: 2,679
    Options
    Boil a pot of water on the stove. Get a pair of gloves and hold the probe in the water making sure not to let it touch the bottom of the pot. It should be near 212. If not get a small adjustable wrench and hold the gauge and turn the back until it reads 212. I don't know how accurate thoes things are at the bottom of the scale because if the ambient temp is 60 to 80, it is not that detailed.
  • Salty Dog
    Salty Dog Posts: 89
    Options
    Water boils at 100 centigrade (212F) at sea level. Get a pot boiling and let the thermometer equalize with the water. It may take a few minutes. Then adjust the dial to 100 centigrade using the nut where the probe enters the dial.
  • Weekend Warrior
    Weekend Warrior Posts: 1,702
    Options
    If your egg is sitting in direct sun, the dome will read much warmer than the ambient temperature. The dark green color of the egg absorbs the sun's rays and the ceramic material holds it. One of the features that make the eggs such a great cooker. Mark ;)
  • 70chevelle
    70chevelle Posts: 280
    Options
    Mine does the same. I sits on my back porch, under a cover, but faces due west. The afternoon sun gets it most of the day. I'm going to check the accuracy, but it seems to work fine, when it needs to! I believe that there are detailed instructions in the owners manual on how to calibrate also. (Yeah, I read my owners manuals :ermm: )
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Yes, use a 7/16" wrech on the nut on the backside of the dial.

The boiling point of water at sea level is 212°F, For your altitude take off 1/2° for each 500' of altutude.

If you want to be exact then go to the Boiling point calculator page
    and follow the instructions.

GG