Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How Long do wood chips last?

Options
Rib Fan
Rib Fan Posts: 305
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
O.K. it is probably related to how much you add to the coals, but if I am doing a shoulder 10lbs, what can I reasonably expect? Am I better off going with chunks? I have some apple and cherry chunks that were harvested from my folks place. New to the BGE and learning as I go.

Thanks

Comments

• Slotmercenary
    Slotmercenary Posts: 1,071
    Options
    it is a matter of preference, i mix chunks in with the lump at different depths so that it burns and smokes throughout the cook. you can do the same with chips. you can also lay chips on top of lump in a spiral pattern so they also burn throughout the cook. practice makes perfect
  • Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    Options
    A hand full of chips scattered throughout the lump should work. I normally use chunks and add about 3-4 good size chunks. The egg is different than any other cooker in that a little smoke goes a long way.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    if i am doing long cook, i'll build the fire in levels, with a good amount of chips and bits in the center, stacked in layers above the fire grate. my fire burns straight down, and instead of spreading wood throughout the whole area of the lump, i just do it in a column in the middle. i get smoke all the way thru.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante