Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

PEARL night at mad max's !!

Options
mad max beyond eggdome
mad max beyond eggdome Posts: 8,134
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
got the spawn home on friday. .. rained all the way to new york and all the way back. .. .what a marathon drive that was!!. .but got her home safe and sound. ..stopped in the city for a couple of papaya king hot dogs with sour kraut and mustard washed down with an ice cold fresh papaya juice!!. ..damn it was good. ...and worth the 2 hours it took to get out of the city throught he lincoln tunnel afterwards. ..oh well. ..

so tonight for dinner we decided to break into the pearl hotdogs that sundown was so kind enough to bring me down from new england two weeks ago at waldorf. ... did the fred's frank thing but with a twist. .. . along with putting the slits in them and grilling them up on the small egg, i also simmered them in beer first. ..experienced a phenomenom i never had with any other dog either.. . .i put 8 pearl hotdogs in one bottle of beer to simmer for about 20 minutes and damn of those hot dogs didn't absorb every last drop of that beer . ..

waldorf08023.jpg

then i grilled em up on the small for about 10 - 15 minutes till nice and crispy. . .

waldorf08024.jpg

had mine with good deli mustard and onions (forgot to buy sour kraut). .. sydney had hers with some velveta we reserved from the pasta-shells-and-cheese we made to with them. . .they were really good and the gang all loved them :woohoo:

thanks sundown!!!!

Comments

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Glad you enjoyed them! I may be headed up to Fred's Franks on Tuesday if it doesn't rain.
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    Nice one, Max. I just saw the hot dog episode on food network last night, so it's still fresh on the brain...gotta do some dogs soon. Thanks for the tip! Meal planning for the week is so easy, especially with the good ideas from this forum.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Awesome Max. I normally don't simmer dogs in beer and didn't realize they would absorb all that liquid.

I was craving dogs today for lunch but didn't have any here...maybe I was channeling those Pearls.
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    well, heck, if was you, i'd be running on down I85 to the varsity for a couple of chili dogs, fries and frozen orange, followed up by a fried pie ala mode. ..

"what'l ya have. ..what'l ya have??!!"

varitylunch.jpg
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Now that's funny, I was just there last night after the Braves game!
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    hotdogs are one thing i usually don't grill ...i love hebe nationals and/or nathans. . .and i usually only cook them in beer and then serve them directly on buns. ...and i always simmer brats before i grill them. . .. but sundown and the new england boys turned me on to the joys of these grilled pearl hot dogs and i married up my love of beer simmered dogs with grilling pearls damn if this wasn't wonderful. ...and like i said, i've never seen dogs actually soak up the beer like they did . . .damn good i'll tell ya. ..
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    hey max i have not done beer wih dogs since forever... i may have to do that next time i get as dog...

anyway glad the spawn is back safe and sound in your house tonight ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    good stuff carey!!! ...isn't tuesday pulled pork day?? ... i'll tell you, even the discriminating wife enjoyed her pearls!!. ..now THAT is meaningful!!
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    as far as i'm concerned its the only way to cook a hot dog :woohoo:
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    LOL. .. i won't go through atlanta without stopping there, just like i won't stop in NYC without hitting the papaya king. ..
  • Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    Options
    That looks great Max. Soooo what's the verdict? I you were to compare them to any other brand which one? I don't think I'm going to find Pearls here and was wondering what would substitute, that I may be able to find?
  • AlaskanC
    AlaskanC Posts: 1,346
    Options
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Yeah, it looks like PP Tuesday has been put on hold from what I hear. And, it looks like we're going to have rain all week.

Gayle even asked if we could have a few Pearls on Mini some night for dinner. And she isn't a hot dawg fan either. It must be a sign that they like them.

Viva la Cult!
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    i'm usually a kosher dog fan (hebe nationals/nathans/sabrets/papayaking), milder taste, but not watered down like a ballpark frank, etc (the varsity dogs are actually pretty tasteless, its the chili and the ambiance of the place that give them their special place on my list, heee). . .i usually don't go for the 'spicier' dogs but in the case of the pearls its a really nice blend of spices .kinda hard to describe, not as spicy as keilbasa or polish sausage but definitely more robust than most hotdogs . . .you just have to try one . ... .
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I've been visiting Fred weekly for our standard Saturday Lunch. I forgot to ask how the PP Tuesday was going. Max's description is perfect. You do just have to try them.

Also, the Jumbo dogs taste a little different than the regular dogs. Can't describe it, they just do.