Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

? Problem or Not?

Options
Scooby
Scooby Posts: 23
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I think I might have a problem, I can't seem to think straight, sleep well lately, or concentrate on anything...all I can think about is my next BGE meal. Is this normal? Will this go away, or am I just in need of something else to do? I just pulled some chocolate chip cookies off the Egg, and now gonna start smoking some ham steaks. How long should I smoke them steaks? They are thawed, and approx 1" thick, bone in ham steaks. Thanks...-Joshua

Comments

• civil eggineer
    civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    Options
    I don't believe your sickness will go away. Just try to positively channel it towards good eats and watch your tummy. I haven't a clue about the smoked ham. Good Luck!
  • eafo
    eafo Posts: 96
    Options
    i'm failing to see a problem here.

:14 minutes until I get to go home and fire up the egg to make pizza for dinner:
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    it will not go away but you will learn to live with the yearning to egg. youwill start doing breakfast lunch and dinner on it... a month ago i cooked 5 out of 6 of the weekend meals on the egg. i have had my egg since 2002....

as far as the ham steaks try this one:::

Pork, Ham, Steak, Glazed Ham & Sweet Taters

Ingredients :
    2-3 Good sized Ham Steaks.
    3-4 Medium Sweet Potatoes (peeled and cubed)
    1 Stick Butter
    2 cups Brown Sugar. (less if you wish)

Preparation :
    1 Set up egg for indirect cooking at 350 degrees.
    2 Preheat large dutch oven in stable egg.
    3 Slice ham into good sized slices and brown in dutch oven.
    4 Put in sweet taters, brown sugar and butter.
    5 Cover and cook till potatoes are tender, about 35-40 minutes.
    6 Serve with corn bread.

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Meat

Recipe Source
    Author: Peter P. Benac (Celtic Wolf)

Source: BGE Florida Eggfest '07, Celtic Wolf

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    it will become a real problem if start asking your wife to wear green pajamas to bed and lift her top up ever 30 minutes, adjust her bottom vent every now and then, and blow smoke in your face :woohoo: :woohoo: :evil:
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    It will not go away but like any "good" addiction you must learn to control it like my friend Terry... :P 5 out of 6 meals in a weekend??? not under control yet??? oh well keep trying
    LOL

BTW Terry that ham recipe just got copied...I can't wait to try it... :cheer:
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    yea i trust good old CW for that one to be good...

like you have never cooked 5 out of 6 weekend meals....

and i never said i was trying to control it :evil:

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Jast as an aside, my dog is named Scooby, so if I make reference to Scooby the Wonder Dog licking his private parts, I'm not trying to disparage you, LOL!
    The Naked Whiz
  • Scooby
    Options
    45 minutes at 200-250 should be allright for the ham steaks shouldn't they...damn patience is gonna kill me...-Joshua
  • NJCarl
    NJCarl Posts: 9
    Options
    I understand how you feel, I cannot wait to get home every night and start cooking. I've had my egg for 6 days and I have cooked dinner on it 4 times.
  • Scooby
    Options
    Well, here it is/was the third day at home, and the third VERY successful meal on my EGG. I smoked/slow grilled 2 1" bone in ham steaks, with hickory chips, 200-275, for approx45 mins. Pulled 'em off wrapped in foil, threw on my new food warmer...(old gas grill), opened the air up to the BGE, and threw 2 more on at 550. Approx 3-4min per side,shut her down and took 'em off at approx 400, 3-4min later. I was a little skeptical on if my smoking would be a little dry, but once again, THE EGG pulled through. I cooked for my Mom, and Stepdad, and they might just be in the market for one now. I love this Grill,and this forum, what my suggestion to the moderators of this board would be to add smell to the pics. But until that happens, I am considering just bringing in my top vent and sitting it beside my computer for smell...Please help, I think I have got a real Good case of BGE Fever...-Joshua :)
  • Smokin Tiger
    Smokin Tiger Posts: 352
    Options
    Just wait until you are traveling on business, sitting in one of the "famous" and expensive steakhouses eating a 20oz. NY Strip thinking that it would have been better if they had Trex'ed it or hot tubbed it or wondering if it would have been better with a little Dizzy Pig Cow Lick or Raising the Steaks. Your travel companions will think you are nuts...but only if they have never been over for dinner ;)

TC