Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

and yet more pork butt stuff

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
If one has bone-in butts in the 12-14lb range, would these typically be just the butt, or the butt plus some more of the pig? These seem to be heavier than what most forum folk list as weights.

Comments

• AlwaysGolf
    AlwaysGolf Posts: 704
    Options
    Is it one of the cryovac packages from sam's or costco it is more than likely 2 butts in one package. Or is could be a picnic shoulder. Lasly one big _ss pis!! :laugh:
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Sounds like you need a fire going........
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    14 lbs would be a whole shoulder, unless it is the cryovac pack from Sam's or Costco. In which case there are two butts in the package. -RP
  • Unknown
    Options
    Hi Randy.This is from a meat market. The girl said "these are bone-in pork butts". Would a whole shoulder be better, or worse, to cook for a first-timer? Also, a lot of the people who will be eating these carry guns so I want to get it right. :P Thanks
  • Unknown
    Options
    The market claims there is only one piece of bone-in meat in the package, and I've never cooked one before.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Whole shoulders are pretty hard to get anymore, at least around here. If you have something shaped like an animals leg, then you have a whole shoulder. If you have something shaped like a rectangular block, then you have two 7 pound butts. Either way, its the simplest and most forgiving cooks you can do. Craving one of those native American brews. -RP
  • Unknown
    Options
    Simple...forgiving...just what I'm looking for.
    Forward your address over to WessB, and maybe he will forward it on to me, as he has my email, and I'll see about rounding up a few more of the brews for you. Forum life would be easier if I could just get registered properly.....

Vance