Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Skirt Steak - How To?

Options
Jersey Doug
Jersey Doug Posts: 460
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm going to attempt the first high temp cook on our week-old small this afternoon - two nice skirt steaks. The egg cooked all day at Waldorf and I've done a variety of cooks at temps up to 400º since then. The grate mates are seasoning in the kitchen oven as I type this so they're not available for this cook. Any recommendations?

--Doug

Comments

• eafo
    eafo Posts: 96
    Options
    throw them right on the coals.
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    how about this:::

Beef, Skirt, Coca-Cola, BobbyQ

Ingredients:
    2 1/2 lb Skirt Steak
    2 Tbs Bada fajita powder
    3 Tbs Key West lime juice
    1 Tbs Black Bead molasses
    8 oz Coca-Cola

Preparation:
    1 Mix all ingredients in glass bowl
    2 Marinate meat for at least four hours
    Cooking:
    1 Bring BGE up to 700 degrees
    2 Cook steak on each side for 4 1/2 minutes
    3 Close vents and allow the steak to dwell for 4 to 8 minutes to bring to it from rare to medium or well done

Servings: 1

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Meat

Recipe Source
    Author: BobbyQ

Source: BGE Forum, Bobby-Q

Molasses and Coca-Cola put a little sugar on the surface to give a little crust

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    I like to marinate them in a ziplock bag with half soy sauce and half Wishbone Italian dressing for several hours, then cook on a hot fire. Be sure to slice them across the grain. -RP
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Check out Alton Brown's episode Raising The Steaks. I like the marinade and tossing the skirt steaks directly on the charcoal gets a lovely char. Good luck!
    The Naked Whiz
  • Jersey Doug
    Options
    Thanks! Some good sounding ideas there for the next time. In the end, I just lightly oiled the steaks, gave them a sprinkle of salt and pepper, and grilled them for 2 minutes + 2 minutes + a two minute dwell. They were very good, but they might have been better.

It appeared that I left cleaning the old lump out of the egg one cook too late. It took an inordinate time to get up to 525º and just stopped there with both the draft door of the small and the daisy wheel wide open. I have to clean it out now, anyway, because I want to make the peach cobbler recipe in the BGE instruction booklet. Live and learn.

--Doug
  • TomM24
    TomM24 Posts: 1,366
    Options
    Doug:

If you like spicey food this was great. Email me if you do and I'll try to find the recipe.
    http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=411484&catid=1
  • Essex County
    Essex County Posts: 991
    Options
    Yes! Right on the coals. I've done it and it works great on skirt steak. Maybe 2 minutes per side.
    Paul
  • Jersey Doug
    Options
    &funcTomM24 wrote:
    Doug:
    If you like spicey food this was great. Email me if you do and I'll try to find the recipe.
    http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard=view&id=411484&catid=1

What a great looking meal! Sadly, acid reflux issues keep me from eating many spicy* dishes. I made a pest of myself at Waldorf asking people offering samples how spicy they were.

*I mean spicy as in peppery, not savory. I use a lot of spices in my cooking but only mild chiles.
  • eafo
    eafo Posts: 96
    Options
    Jersey Doug wrote:
    &funcTomM24 wrote:
    Doug:
    http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard=view&id=411484&catid=1

What a great looking meal! Sadly, acid reflux issues keep me from eating many spicy* dishes. I made a pest of myself at Waldorf asking people offering samples how spicy they were.

*I mean spicy as in peppery, not savory. I use a lot of spices in my cooking but only mild chiles.
    as a long time sufferer of acid reflux, please go see a GI. you have no idea how much damage it can be causing your esophagus. about 2 years ago i had an upper GI, and the doctor had to take over 40 biopsies, about 10x the normal amount. sure, i lost 10lbs in the following 2 weeks because i didnt really want to eat, but all that scaring is bad for you as it makes you much more likely to develop a type of cancer in your esophagus.
    and what will happen is they'll give you a Rx for Protonix (ask for the generic version) and you'll be able to eat whatever you want. and sleep better.