Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Got this thing together,but

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a question. #1, Are the felt seals suppose to be completly sealed off? I put a piece of paper all the way around the seal and tried to pull it out. For the most part I could not pull it out but in about a 10-12 inch spot,the paper is not as tight. It doesnt come out real easy,but I can pull it out. It came with the spring loaded hinge,which I cant figure out how to lock. It didnt come with a temp gauge so I couldnt fire it up last night for the first cook.Oh well, maybe tonight.
Happy smokin

Comments

• Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    Options
    smokeapig,[p]If it is hard to pull out you should be in good shape. If you want to try to make the seal tighter loosen the band bolts WITH THE DOME CLOSED. The dome will settle as flat as it can go and then tighten the bolts again. The spring loaded hinge should allow the dome to stay in the open position, I'm not sure what you mean by "lock". Sounds to me like it's time to get thermometer and fire that baby up. What are you doing for your first cook?[p]Have a great day.[p]Chuck <><

• Unknown
    Options
    Chuck,
    Thanks for the info. My fisrt try was going to be a pork shoulder, but my better half talked me into smoking some ribs for tommorrow. Think I'll go with 2 or 3 racks of baby backs for my first try.

• fiver29
    fiver29 Posts: 628
    Options
    smokeapig,[p]I would suggest something simple for the first couple of cooks. Like chicken breasts or a whole chicken. This allows you to experiment and play around with how it works.[p]What I mean is, you can read all day, but until you are playing around with it yourself you may not have a handle how it will lock at 250* or whatever.[p]Not to discourage you. If you think you can pull off a few racks of ribs with the first cook I say go for it! I have been cooking on the egg for only about a year now and the last rib cook I did I burnt the ends. They were not edible. I know why after the fact. But it takes some playing with. There seems to be a learning curve with a lot of cooks on the egg.[p]It seems I heard that somewhere..... oh yeah, thanks KennyG!!![p]Cheers!!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Strongsville, Ohio

Yes.  I own a blue egg!  Call Atlanta if you don't believe me!
    [I put this here so everyone knows when I put pictures up with a blue egg in it]

• Unknown
    Options
    Don't let the Egg intimidate you. I purchased my egg Father's Day weekend and cooked babybacks last weekend that were fantastic, with the juice oozing out of the meat. The Egg Rules. Cook what you want and good luck.

• Unknown
    Options
    fiver29,[p]Agree with you on obtaining Eggsperience. One good thing though as for my attempts:[p]If something did not turn out as good as it could have... it was still very good. Nothing butt(pun intended) compliments for my egg. Doing a standing rib roast tonight! Cost a few bucks but, (couldn't do it again) it will be delicious. tcw