Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

raised grid

Options
mike
mike Posts: 152
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello... I am a recent convert.. I gave my weber away Saturday and am working out the nuances of the new large BGE I purchased.... pretty interesting tool.. (restaurant quality ribs were made last sunday....truly excellent...) what is the purpose of the raised grid I read about and how do you do it? is it to increase the cooking area? this is the one thing I miss about my weber and I would like to rectify it... any help would be greratly appreciated... Thanks!!!!!!!!

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    mike,
    You can use the raised grid to have a second grid and increase cooking capacity. I usually raise it when I do spatchcock chicken to get the bird further from the fire. I just put some firebrick on edge and put a second grid on top. See the photo on my spatchcock chicken webpage. Other folks have used stainless bolts to make legs that sit on the fire ring. BGE makes a grid that attaches to the regular grid.[p]TNW

[ul][li]Spatchcock chicken setup[/ul]
    The Naked Whiz
  • Harry
    Harry Posts: 58
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,
    Is there an advantage to this method (bricks and a second grill) over just keeping the coals lower in the egg? Seems like the objective would be accomplished either way, but I sure don't know all there is to know about this great grill.[p]Harry