Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First try at Egged Soft Shell Crab

Austin Smoker
Austin Smoker Posts: 1,467
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This was something I have been thinking about doing for a while. Then a thread this week forced my hand and I agreed to share pics of the attempt. The opportunity was a natural for me since the wife's favorite is a lobster tail - which, as part of her Mother's Day, you will see in some of the pics.

I started with some pretty soft shell Blues. My fishmonger was happy to clean them for me, a step that I have always loathed!
May11007.jpg

Next step was a little EVOO, and a LOT of Old Bay sprinkled all over, including under the softshell on both sides:
May11008.jpg

Here they are, all prepped up! I added a little garlic poweder, sea salt and fresh black pepper at the last minute.
May11010.jpg

Onto a 425 degree egg!
May11013.jpg

Waited three minutes and flipped, look at the color!! on the flip I mopped both sides with a butter/garlic mixture and that flavor really came through in the end.
May11014.jpg
May11015.jpg

Plated up with some cowboy yukon golds made with DP Swamp Venom, Vidalia onions, and a Romaine, Vidalia and broccoli salad, with some Braswell's Vidalia/Peppercorn dressing:
May11017.jpg

The VERDICT:
The flavor was spectacular, but the two crabs that were over the hottest part of the fire were overcooked (meaning one was great). I will likely drop the time down to 2 minutes per side over a 400 degree dome on my next try. I think another interesting attempt might be to coat them lightly in flour, but we'll see....

If you dig soft shell like I do, give it a whirl.
Brad

Comments