Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

This problem could have a silver lining!

WudEyeDoo
WudEyeDoo Posts: 201
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We really like meatloaf cooked on the egg. Yesterday I was trying my new matloaf basket that I bought so the meatloaf could get smoke on all sides. After the Jack Daniels chips were finished smoking, I added 3 ears of corn on the cobb, kind of bordering 3 sides of the meatloaf. I cook the meatloaf indirect, by the way, with a polder measuring internal meat temp. [p]When I added the corn, it was as if the meat stopped cooking. I guess the corn was robbing all the heat or something. When the corn was removed about 40 minutes later the meatloaf temp started rising again. It all turned out fine except dinner was served later than I intended.[p]Here's the silver lining part. After dinner I was telling my wife my theory on why the meatloaf took longer that normal to cook. Her response was, "Maybe you should get a smaller egg just for veggies." After a few seconds of shocked silence on my part, I quickly recovered and told her what a great idea she has there! You have to realize this is coming from a woman who thought I was crazy when I told her 11 months ago how much I was spending on my new large BGE. I would say she's been totally converted, wouldn't you?[p]Now it's time to get serious! Does BBQ Galore sell smalls anymore in Houston? Do the smalls still have the old style hinge or do they have an updated version? I'm ready to strike while the irons hot![p]Bob

Comments

• nikkig
    nikkig Posts: 514
    WudEyeDoo,
    From what I understand, the small still come with the old hinge. I am also interested in getting a small, but I am going to wait until they get the new spring hinge on them.

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    WudEyeDoo, currently it is my understanding that the smalls still have the old style hinge. The spring assisted lift for the small is supposedly in the works. I would see if the dealer has any of the smalls with the old style hinge and get him to give you a deep discount on the new hinge when they finally come in. And do it quick before your the intoxicating influence of BGE food wears off on your wife.

• DavidR
    DavidR Posts: 178
    WudEyeDoo,[p]I didn't know you lived in Houston. What part? I live in Stafford, just off I-59. [p]But to answer your question, NO, BBQ's Galore doesn't sell Smalls anymore, just Larges. At least that was the case a couple of months ago. Claimed there wasn't a market for them.

• DavidR,
    Then maybe he really in luck! Maybe he should go out and buy another large (since he has wife approval for a small) and then simply say "It's all they had"...

• Puj
    Puj Posts: 615
    WudEyeDoo,[p]Here's another angle. If you cannot locate a small Egg at a reasonable price in the Houston area, plan for you and your wife to come to Atlanta for Eggtoberfest. You will certainly be able to buy a small at a reasonable price, and ... do I need to say anything about the food and fun at Eggtoberfest(s)? It's only 117 days away.[p]Puj
  • WudEyeDoo
    DavidR,
    Actually I live near Beaumont, but Houston is the closest BGE dealer. I'm close enough to come to a "Houston area" BGE gathering if anybody feels energetic enough to put something on.

• WudEyeDoo
    Puj,
    Good angle! I like the way you think.

• Puj
    Puj Posts: 615
    WudEyeDoo,[p]Looking forward to meeting you at Eggtoberfest. :)[p]Puj
  • Gordy
    Gordy Posts: 49
    nikkig,
    I'm with you. As soon as the new hinge comes out I'm getting a small too. I have two large BGEs, one at the house, one at the lake. One small should work, bring it back in forth, at the camp for the summer and at home for the rest of the year.

• Gator1
    Gator1 Posts: 37
    WudEyeDoo,
    I am having a good chuckle because I had a near identical conversation with my wife last night! It took a year to talk her into a medium egg. We have had the medium for a year now and when I mentioned a mini for camping her response was "how fast do you think we can get it?!"
    Jim

• WudEyeDoo
    gator1,
    Sounds like you will soon be a "2 Egg Family" also! Do you know the difference in weight between the mini vs. the small? I would like to get the small for the added capacity but it would be nice to have the portability of the mini. Decisions, decisions.