Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Picnic shoulder

Options
Cecil
Cecil Posts: 771
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Yesterday I put a 4.25# half picnic on @2:30 (on sale for $.99)
Dome temp constant 250-260 throughout cook.
Removed most skin and rubbed.
I forgot about it until 10:30 and internal was 190, so I took it off as I was ready for bed.
It turned out dry on outside and didn't pull apart like butts do.
Was it this particular cut or did I do something else wrong?

Thanks,
Walt

Comments

• Judge
    Judge Posts: 35
    Options
    Photo's please I am an expert at dry (-:
  • Cecil
    Options
    Alas, as I was sleepy, I didn't record any.

Walt
  • Judge
    Judge Posts: 35
    Options
    shame you did not get photo's for the real experts around here all i could do was tell you exactly why it is dry. I have figured out every darn way to do dry food! But getting better
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Picnics typically don't have the same amount of internal fat as a butt. Was yours bone-in?

I did one a couple weeks ago that I skinned before cooking, but I injected it with as much fluid as I could get it to hold. It turned out very flavorful, but still not quite as moist as a butt.

PicnicDone800.jpg
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    indirect?
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    So, contrary to what me thought I learnt hear, butts & shoulders don't cook exactly alike? I've only Egged butts so far and they've all been fantastic, despite my involvement! I've often been tempted to try a shoulder, but why mess with success? BTW, I will only purchase pork that has not been adulterated(injected with saline formulas to extend "sell-by-dates" & increase weight)! 8 - )
  • Cecil
    Options
    This was not "enhanced", it was also not a butt. Like you I have only done butts and have been well pleased. I guess the shoulder IS a different animal.

Walt
  • Cecil
    Options
    Yes, it was bone-in. I did not brine or inject or take care of it as I would a larger butt. What the heck, it is fit to eat and only cost $4.

Walt
  • Cecil
    Options
    Yes, indirect.

Walt
  • dougemsmacks
    dougemsmacks Posts: 152
    Options
    I have not done a butt yet, only shoulders and they came out fine at least for us. Are you all saying a boston butt is going to be better? my shoulders have been full size, bone in (about 9#) no injection, and just seasoned and cooked. We pull the meat when it is still warm and sauce it before serving. Am I doing anything different. One of my kids is a little picky but she eats this for lunch and or dinner for the next couple of days and turns her nose up at we have freshly made
  • Cecil
    Options
    This was my first shoulder. I have truly enjoyed all the butts I have done.

Walt
  • tomo
    tomo Posts: 78
    Options
    We did a couple of pork shoulders Monday. Rubbed them with DP coarse grind and cooked at 250 until internal temp was 195. They were great. Nice moisture. We will do them again....tom