Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grilled Pizza?

Options
Ellen aka Gormay
Ellen aka Gormay Posts: 63
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi All,[p]I am thinking of making pizza on the BGE this weekend. I have made it once before on the platesetter and stone with good results (alder smoked shrimp, sundried tomatoes and marinated artichokes for toppings...yummmmm).[p]I would like to take a different approach this time and "grill" the pizza rather than "bake" it. I have purchased a round, metal screen pizza holder from a restaurant supply which would support the dough without shielding it from the heat.[p]Has anyone tried this before? What temp and times would be suggested? [p]TIA for any help,[p]Ellen[p]CEO (Chief of Experimental Operations) of the EAG Test Kitchens :-)

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    Ellen aka Gormay, wow! Let us know how it works. Never having even though about doing a pizza direct I may not be much help but my thinking is that a lower temperature (375 or so) may help bake the pizza without burning it. I would get a good stable fire (with the flames lowered) and then try it.

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Options
    pizzapan.jpg
    <p />Ellen aka Gormay,[p]After I had already discovered wonderful BGE pizza ala Spin,
    a well-meaning and unknowing friend gave me this as a gift. It took me a long time to try it out, but when I did, it worked surprisingly well.[p]It's designed for a gas grill or Weber Kettle and seems to cook just fine at about 350* Top a pre-formed pizza crust (or thin crust Boboli) with your favorite sauce, cheeze and toppings and try about 10 minutes on the grid and directly over the coals. It works quite well.[p]K~G

• Puj
    Puj Posts: 615
    Options
    Ellen aka Gormay,[p]I grilled pizza on a gas grill about 15 summers ago, throughout that summer. KennyG's recommendation of 350°F direct until done is sound advise. Just keep an eye on it and you'll be fine. The only other thing to add is to try and minimize the lump used and try to maximize the distance between the lump and the grid.[p]Puj[p]
  • Ca_rnivore
    Ca_rnivore Posts: 120
    Options
    Ellen aka Gormay,[p]Steve Raichlen does grilled pizza in some of his books. He "pre-bakes" the crust directly on the grill, then adds toppings and lets it go a while longer. If you have any of his books, look up his pizza recipe, it might give you an idea of how to proceeed with your "eggsperiment".[p]--Kevin