Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

coal grate

Options
Tractor
Tractor Posts: 288
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm not sure what it is called, but I'm wanting to know about replacing that ceramic disc with holes in it that the lump rests on. Mine has cracked in half. [p]I understand there is a new version available made of cast iron but I can't find it anywhere on the site. Can someone reply with a link? [p]THANKS

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    Tractor, go to the BGE homepage and click on the "Products and Accessories Catalog" link near the bottom of the page.[p]I believe the new cast iron grate is in there.[p]I use a cast iron trivet, which was a suggestion from Tim M.[p]https://www.ugwhite.com/cgi-bin/store/agora.cgi?cart_id=7841869.9552*176Q&p_id=180&xm=on&ppinc=search2[p]Either way, cast iron is the way to go for your grate, IMO.[p]Hope this helps.[p]
  • Unknown
    Options
    Tractor,
    another alternative and quicker turnaround is to buy a cast iron floor drain cover from a hardware store or plumbing supply shop. They are cheap and work well - especially much better than a Lodge trivet.

• Charcoal Mike
    Options
    Tractor,[p]Just call BGE. Yours is under warranty, and BGE is now replacing the ceramic ones with cast iron (I did this about a month ago). All you pay is shipping.[p]Hope this helps![p]Cheers![p]- Mike

• Unknown
    Options
    kat, what kind of problems did you have with the Lodge trivet? Do they burn through or rust?[p]Thanks!

• Tractor
    Tractor Posts: 288
    Options
    I would like to thank everyone who advised![p]So...THANKS
  • Unknown
    Options
    Skwerl X, first of all they were never meant to be used in this manner and are thin and weak cast iron full of holes. Heat stress will cause it to warp and cracks have developed. Granted you can flip it over and over time to time. After having gone through two trivets I have now switched to a custom job a friend made for me at his machine shop. That is in my large. For my small where I regularly light from underneath so as to hit nuke temps I still am using a cast iron floor drain that I paid 6 bucks for. After 2 years of use it is still flat.

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    03_27_0009_41_04.jpg
    <p />kat, I think I paid 6.50 for the one in my medium - put it into service in March 2000 and it is still as flat and perfectg as the first day.

• LasVegasMac
    LasVegasMac Posts: 183
    Options
    Skwerl X,[p]I bought two of the Lodge trivets about 4 months ago. One problem I noticed right off the bat was that they are not shaped to form fit. I usually just give the old lump a stir or two in prepping for a new cook - the trivet tends to tip / move a bunch.[p]Folks say that the plate from BGE is bevelled - fits better.[p]I did notice that the bottom end of my large got much hotter than when I was using the ceramic plate.[p]LVM