Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Vidalia Onions on the EGG?

Options
Eggtucky
Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Normally I fix Vidalia onions on the grill by crosscutting them, filling the center with butter and a cube of beef bullion, then wrapping in foil and cooking for 45 mins or so..this as you might expect however does not impart much 'smoked' flavor to the onions..I'm looking for some good ideas to prep Vidalias on the egg..got some and gonna cook em this afternoon!.. :woohoo:

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    try this::::

Onion, Grilled "French II"

These made be made on the grill or in the oven, great to take camping as you can prepare the foil packages ahead of time then just stick on the grill, they are great on top of burgers, steaks and even fish — one onion for each packet but of coarse you may make as many packets as desired! --- see bottom of recipe for oven cooking

Ingredients
    1 large sweet onion (peeled and cut into wedges)
    1 1/2 Tbs butter or margarine, finely cubed (can use 2 tablespoons)
    1 tsp beef bouillon powder
    1 pinch garlic powder
    1/8 tsp salt (or to taste, I use Lawry's seasoned salt)
    fresh ground black pepper (to taste)

1 Directions
    2 Set outdoor grill to medium.
    3 Place the onion wedges on a large square of heavy-duty foil.
    4 Dot the top of the wedges with butter cubes, then sprinkle with bouillon powder, garlic powder, salt and ground black pepper.
    5 Fold the foil square into a packet.
    6 prick a small hole in the top of the packet to allow heat to escape.
    7 Place the packet (hole-side facing up) on the preheated grill.
    8 Cook for about 45 minutes to 1 hour or until the onions are a deep golden brown (shake the packet or open and stir the onions about halfway through to prevent burning).
    9 For oven baking; place the sealed foil packets on a small jelly-roll sheet.
    10 Bake 375 degrees F for about 45-50 minutes.

Recipe Source
    Author: KITTENCAL

Source: Recepie Zar dot com

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
  • EgginDawg
    EgginDawg Posts: 747
    Options
    I just cooked a Vidalia just as you mentioned and it came out great....with smokey flavor to it. The only thing I added that was different was some bbq rub seasoning.
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    Yeah i cooked 2 as above but dribbled some EVOO on them and added a pinch of salt, cracked pepper and a good shake or 2 of john henry pecan..then took them off after about 40 mins. After cooling a bit..I dumped them into a CI skillet, chopped em a bit and added in some Blues Hog Honey Mustard...simmered on the egg for bout 15 mins and man were they good!!.. :woohoo: :woohoo: