Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef ribs?

Options
BluesnBBQ
BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm going to try barbecuing beef ribs for the first time tonight. I have them marinating in Guinness and garlic (since I've had sucess with various other cuts of beef in Guinness and garlic I fiugured I'd try it with beef ribs). I'll probably rub them with garlic powder, onion powder, salt and black pepper, and smoke them with oak.[p]Does anyone have suggestions for barbecuing beef ribs? I've heard that they take much longer than pork ribs. How long should I smoke them for, and what temp?

Comments

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    BluesnBBQ,[p]I don't think that they take any longer than pork ribs. I've cooked beef ribs over a drip pan at about 300 for 3.5 to 4 hours and they were great. I've not tried them direct yet but plan on it. The meat will pull away from the bone on the beef ribs just like a pork rib. Look for the same things in a beef rib that you would in a pork rib regarding doneness. Others may have other ways that they've done beef ribs, this made a pretty good rack of ribs when I made them. BTW, I'm having trouble finding beef ribs around here, did you have any trouble finding them? They had some at Wal Mart the other day and they were almost ALL BONE, there were literally indentations between the bones where the meat had been shaved out from between them. [p]Good Luck[p]Troy[p]
  • BluesnBBQ
    BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
    Options
    sprinter,[p]I didn't have any trouble finding them. In fact, I wasn't even looking for them! I just saw them in the meat aisle at Shopper's Food Warehouse (local supermarket with pretty good prices. You can always find Boston Butts or Picnic there cheap, even when the other stores have none). They were cheap and I've never tried them before, so I picked some up. They're very meaty, and I had to cut the rack in half to fit in my marinade container.
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    beef2.jpg
    <p />BluesnBBQ,[p]These were indirect at 275 for 4 hrs. 300-325 would also work. [p]I have never done them direct because they are so greasy they drip alot. Let me know how they come out. These also have sauce on them at this point. Good, nice smokey taste, tough and greasy. [p]
    Tim