Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ping - Celtic Wolf

KC
KC Posts: 91
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Celtic Wolf - I submitted this last week and did not get a reply so I am trying again. Hopefully, you will see this and help me out...

I remember that you posted sometime back that you were using some configuration of TJV's EggAccessories to maximize the number of butts you could get on a large egg. What combination of grids. extenders, etc. do you use to stack the butts?

I have committed to cook pork butts for a homeless shelter for both the Memorial Day and July 4th hoidays and I need to achieve MAXIMUM BUTTAGE for each cook.

Thanks,
KC

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Just the standard setup. spider with pizza stone on spider. Drip pan on spider. Main grate and the grate on the adjustable.

No offense but you may want to re-think your commitment. Are you equipped to handle that kind of cook? If word gets out they are feeding BBQ(and it will) to the homeless you could be looking at 100+ to feed and quickly. One Egg is not going to cut it.
  • Pyro
    Pyro Posts: 101
    Celtic Wolf wrote:
    Just the standard setup. spider with pizza stone on spider. Drip pan on spider. Main grate and the grate on the adjustable.

No offense but you may want to re-think your commitment. Are you equipped to handle that kind of cook? If word gets out they are feeding BBQ(and it will) to the homeless you could be looking at 100+ to feed and quickly. One Egg is not going to cut it.

So what is the problem? Ask your local dealer to lend a couple of BGE's and ask your church to step up and buy the butts. Everyone will do it, (if you ask nice) and the dealer will sell a few eggs to the locals and the church will continue to reach out to the homeless. It's a win for everyone.

Wayne
  • Pyro
    Pyro Posts: 101
    Celtic Wolf wrote:

So what is the problem? Ask your local dealer to lend a couple of BGE's and ask your church to step up and buy the butts. Everyone will do it, (if you ask nice) and the dealer will sell a few eggs to the locals and the church will continue to reach out to the homeless. It's a win for everyone.

Wayne
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    It's a lot work to pull this kind of thing off, especially if you have never done it before. It's not a I'll show up and cook kind of thing. I am sure the shelter will supply the meat. That is not really the issue. The issue is the sheer number of "homeless" people that could show up.

As for the local dealers "donating eggs" you must live in an area where the local dealer actually has eggs in stock to do that. Most don't and those that do aren't going to mess up there inventory without some kind of potential return on investment. Not sure what kind residual business a dealer will get from a homeless shelter.

Not saying he can't pull it off, but there is a reason why catering is a major investment.
  • KC
    KC Posts: 91
    Thanks for the info. I am not the only person supplying BBQ for the holiday. Others have committed to cook as well so I will cook as much as the Large will hold!

Thanks again.