Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked chicken??

Options
Wonka
Wonka Posts: 68
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'll be doing some low-n-slow BB ribs on the XL Tuesday. I'm thinking about BBQing a chicken at the same time. Would it be good to smoke a whole chicken? I've only done whole chickens with the beer butt method at about 350 degrees for an hour or so. But how do they come out smoked low-n-slow? Any recipes or tips?

Comments

• Boxerpapa
    Boxerpapa Posts: 989
    Options
    IMHO...smoking a chicken is a no-no. The breast absorbs a lot of the smoke and will create a bitter taste...but that's my opinion.
  • Mahi-Mahi
    Mahi-Mahi Posts: 162
    Options
    I did some chicken halfs at a lower temperture of 235 and it was ok but my wife did like the skin it was rubbery to her.

I did chicken tonight and put corn starch on the skin to make it crispier and at 376 and it turned out great. Except my wife did like the seasoning.

My feeling is that it is harder to get the grease out of the chicken at the lower temps.
  • Wonka
    Wonka Posts: 68
    Options
    Okay, that makes sense. I was just thinking that I love the smoked chicken at the local rib joint and it shouldn't be hard to duplicate it on the egg. But maybe it's not cooked low-n-slow after all, but just over a wood fire.
  • East Cobb Eggy
    East Cobb Eggy Posts: 1,162
    Options
    Smoked drumsticks are absolutely wonderful. They are some of the best things that I have made on the EGG. Get yourself some Dizzy Pig rubs and a nice smoking rack.

master:BH013.jpg

Greg
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    I like to spatchcock one indirect at 250-275 till internal breast temp 165-170. Make rub of equal parts salt, garlic pepper, ginger, cummin, chilli powder, pepricka. Rub bird in EVOO and juice of fresh lime. Be sure and get juice under skin as well as rub. Not just outside skin. I use presimmon and a little oak for the wood smoke.
    FOODMIDAPRIL003.jpg
    FOODMIDAPRIL004.jpg
    FIRSTMARCHFOOD012.jpg
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    Will,

I did some smoked chicken the past two times I did bird on the BGEs...250 dome, and because I did dark meat, I cooked to 180 internal. JLOCKHART29 has recommended using the leg quarters instead of the pieces, and they really came out nice!

I use either apple, hickory, or a combination of the two with the smoked chicken.
  • civil eggineer
    civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    Options
    I have smoked chicken whole, spatchcocked and breasts using Hickory and Mesquite chips. I personally like the flavor it imparts into the meat. Given the relatively short time need to cook a bird, I don't find the smoke becomes over powerful at all.