Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

cooking Ribs ??????

Options
Egg-topia
Egg-topia Posts: 7
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
well here I go going to try something other than hamburgers and hotdogs on my egg maybe...LOL
I have a small egg and thought of cooking some ribs on it ...got a small pack of ribs but not sure how to do them egg style or how long it should take...I don't have the place setter or rib rack yet so they would be cooked direct heat....here is a few questions should I boil them first then kind of smoke them or slow cook them with direct heat. what temp should I cook at and how long should it take....any advice or help in the next litttle bit would be greatly apriciated so I can have for dinner tonight.

thanks eggheads out there for your help with this

Comments

• usc1321
    usc1321 Posts: 627
    Options
    I have never tried them direct, but here is a link that may help answer a few questions. ;)B)
    http://www.tm52.com/bge/
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    Boiling is just unnatural! :ohmy: Not sure exactly how a small is set up but can you rig up a alumnium plate under the grill? Anything to form a barrior between the ribs and fire. I have head people doing direct b4 but never myself. 250- 270 is what I do indirect. About 2 hrs uncovered then 1 hour wrapped in foil then uncover for an other hour for Baby backs. Spray every 45 min. with Wild Turkey and Coke or just Coke if you do not pertake. I assume you have your own rub/sause to use. When you wrap them add some of the Coke/Turkey mix in bottom of foil.
    FOODMIDAPRIL031.jpg
    FOODMIDAPRIL033.jpg
    FOODMIDAPRIL034.jpg
    FOODMIDAPRIL035.jpg
  • MS_STATE_Dawg
    Options
    I sure like the taste of your spray mixture!
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    Nice ribs, JL.

I've always done mine indirect, too, and I just used heavy foil or a drip pan as my barrier. I'm a 3-1-1 guy, myself, but it seems there are as many ways to do ribs as there are Eggers.
  • dougemsmacks
    Options
    I just did them direct and they came out good. I have a large BGE but here's how they were done.Temp was 210, seasoned the night before cooked till the meat pulled back about 3/8" off the bone(this was about 3 hours). I tried not to peek too much and was ok after the 1st hour and flipped at 1-3/4 hrs. or so. I wouldn't par boil them it takes too much of the flavor away. good luck and let us know they turned out
  • Egg-topia
    Options
    ok here we go....got some beef baby backs about 3 pounds worth.....rubed down and on the egg temp start is 250-260 .....having to direct heat cook because I don't have a place setter yet. smoking with some mesquite chips been soaking a couple of days. put ribs on waited a couple of minutes and lifted to help reduce sticking. will try and update periodically during cook...any suggestions from here on will be grettly welcomed...having to do it this way because is what I have to work with at this time. planning on basting with sauce last part of cook. hopefully here in a couple of weeks going to get a place setter and a cast iron grate for it.
  • Egg-topia
    Options
    ok maybe a little too much heat these little ribs are cooking quickly ...just peaked and had to turn them. quickly got my suace and basted.. guessing in a 20-30 more minutes and we will have done ribs
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    On St. Louis style I use closer to 3/1/1 but on B.Backs with the larger meat/bone ratio they tend to be to dry 3/1/1 IMO. In fact a lot of times the last hr on B.Backs may only be 20 or 30 min with lots of smoke depending on how they "feel". Yea Dawg Something about aged whiskey a BBQ go togeather. Even if only used for flavor. Course non of the flavoring spray is waisted! ;)