Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

new egg

Options
jekinms
jekinms Posts: 7
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Finally got brave enough to invest in an egg. My first two cooks were a disaster (trying to learn temp control, etc). I did'nt believe the ads about a bad cook on an egg were better than a sucess on any other grill, but when my wife said that everything was cooked to perfection, I now truely believe. I am now a confirmed novice egghead.

Comments

• pop-a- top
    pop-a- top Posts: 184
    Options
    Welcome to the club.
  • Knauf
    Knauf Posts: 337
    Options
    Just keep practicing and eating your mistakes. I've learned a bunch of things on this forum. Everyone is very helpful. Good luck.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Congrats on your new purchase.

The temp control thing really gets easier after 8-10 cooks. Just practice with it and take notes. You'll be surprised how handy they become - especially since each egg tends to have its own personality. Where i set my vents for a certain temperature, yours may vary quite a bit.

Learning and experimenting are a good part of the fun.
  • NJ-GrEGG
    NJ-GrEGG Posts: 171
    Options
    Welcome aboard!

I remember when I bought my Egg in 2003 and the newbee blunders I made early on. These two sites helped me a lot.

Dizzy Pig: http://dizzypigbbq.com/recipes.html

( I just did the wings....easy and very good )

The Naked Whiz BBQ:

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/recipes.htm

(Go here before your first pulled pork!)

Just two of many more out there! Happy Egging!
  • Austin Smoker
    Austin Smoker Posts: 1,467
    Options
    Welcome aboard! You might want to use the search forum feature to gain some insights on temp control....good advice in here.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    My third cook was, erm, interesting. I did beef short ribs, direct, on the lower grate. I managed to keep a steady dome temp of 180. After 4 hours, as long as I'd ever cooked without adding charcoal, I looked, and the ribs appeared wonderful. I took them out of the Egg, and closed the vent. Within 10 minutes, it was obvious that only the outer part of the ribs were cooked. I took them back to the Egg. I could see just the smallest glimmer of red coals left. I put the ribs back on, took off the cap, and opened the vent wide.

I went back inside, hoping that the fire would return, and that we would have dinner with a few hours. 10 minutes later, my wife tells me "You better look outside!"

There were flames blazing from the top of the Egg. I went out, and found the thermometer reading above 700. I closed everything down. After a few minutes, I remembered the advise to burp the Egg at high temps. So I did, avoided a flashback, and pulled the now cinderlike pieces of meat from the grate.

Onc the charred stuff was chipped away, the were pretty good.

A few days later, I found this forum, much to my delight, then and now. Get ready to produce stuff better than you might imagine.
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    take a little time to learn how to light your Egg for different cooks, how to control the temperatures and how to load your lump. Taking that time will get you to the place you want to be sooner and faster.

If you are near an EggFest I would suggest you attend where you can learn more in a few hours than you can here in a year.

Welcome to The Cult
  • UGAVET
    UGAVET Posts: 577
    Options
    Keep practicing, soon your family, neighbors and coworks will be raving about what a barbeque expert you are.