Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Jalapeno bread and butter pickles

Options
Darnoc
Darnoc Posts: 2,661
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This is my first attempt to make these and after being in the brine for only two hours they taste pretty good.I just could not wait for them to soak overnight.

1 pound jalapeño slices (I pushed most of the seeds out)
2 cups sugar
2 cups white vinegar
1 tbs mustard seed
1 tbs celery seed
1 tbs turmeric
1 onion sliced
2 tbs salt

Bring it to a boil then simmer for seven minutes
LET IT COOL DOWN then pour it over the peppers and onions

The recipe said to refrigerate for seven to ten days inverting every two days.But as you see I could not wait.

Enjoy.

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Boy, that's not showing much will power :laugh:

21ee8ca5.jpg

Good move on taking the seeds out, they can make them pretty spicy. Of course, you can see I don't always practice what I preach....

I made pickled asparagus today, with kosher and Polish flavors. They used a refrigerator mix too.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    I am a pickle freak to begin with and Baltimore has the world famous Lexington market and as a kid I can remember there was one stall in that market that had nothing but pickles and nothing else.I can remember like it was yesterday that I am sitting in the classroom in high school and can't wait for the three O'Clock bell to ring so I could go to the market and freak out.Man the sour pickles she made made my mouth water just thinking about them.I have never found any better ones that she made to this day and I think the only way you can do it is make it yourself.Her sweet,dill,sour etc came right out of the crock and excuse me here they were dam good. We all should slow down and get back to some basics in my book.The end product will be so much better.Not only in food but every thing else.Time to get off of the soap box and check out the bacon wrapped shrimp.
  • what did you use to pickle your asparagus? i have 100ft of asparagus bed that will produce mass quantities here in a week or so.

thanks

ken