Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket cooldown... in the oven?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well, everything is working out great on my brisket so far... looks like it's going to be a tender one. I foiled at about 170F, and took it to 192F. I put the point back out on the egg.

I added a bit of beef stock and added another layer of foil. I don't have a cooler large enough, so I put it in the (prewarmed) oven at 170F, the lowest temp my oven will go. Has anyone tried that before? I'm thinking I'll do 1 hour set at 170F, and then turn the oven off and let it coast for another half hour.

Does anyone think I'm flirting with disaster by doing this?

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    You should be OK - but I would recommend a sheet pan underneath because there may be dome seepage from the foil.

May not, but better safe than sorry.

For that last half hour I think you'll be OK turning the oven off and allowing the residual heat to keep it warm.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    I have a large fleese blanket (fabric actually) just larger than a stadium blanket that I wrap any meat I am cooking. I at times put that in the oven or even on the counter. The meat will rest for 2 to 4 hours and still be hot and will go to 4 to 6 hours and still be very warm. Chicken or ribs will easily hold hot for 2 to 3 hours I have never tested to see how long chicken or ribs will stay long.

I just make sure the food is foiled and wraped well in the blanket.

GG
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    You'll be fine at 170 in the oven for a couple of hours. There is no need to turn it off. That is essentially what the cooler does.