Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bacon wrapped jalapeno shrimp

Options
DavidR
DavidR Posts: 178
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I got an appetite for some shrimp brochette this weekend. I'd like to butterfly some jumbo shrimp, insert a sliver of jalapeno inside the shrimp and wrap it with bacon, and then sprinkle them with some blackened redfish seasoning. They turned out great when I was using my wife's gas grill a long, long time ago. [p]I would love to try them on the egg, but I'm a little fuzzy on what temp to cook them, and for how long. I'll be using a fish basket, so it'll be easy to turn them over. I want to get the bacon crisp without turning the shrimp into rubber.[p]I'm also wondering if it's best to use an elevated grid. Any help would be really appreciated.

Comments

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    DavidR,
    Man after my taste buds. I haven't cooked them in a while though.
    Here's what I do: rather than use a fish basket, get some small wooden skewers. Soak them in water while you are putting them together. Then use 2 skewers..one at the tail, one at the head end. This makes it easier to flip and control. Each skewer should hold about 5 shrimp.
    I cook mine direct at about 300*, flipping at about 5 minutes or when the bacon is done.
    Good eating!

• Unknown
    Options
    Shelby,
    I precook the bacon about halfway before wrapping it around the shrimp and this works great. Gets crispy by the time the shrimp are done. Skewers are the way to go. I also put a narrow piece of cheese in with the jalapeno, such as mozzarella or whatever else I have. Delish!

• DavidR
    Options
    Barbara,[p]Thanks for the tip! Do you also cook at 300*, and for how long?

• Unknown
    Options
    DavidR,
    I have cooked mine at 325-350 for 3-4 minutes each side. Then dip them in clarified (or not) butter mixed with a bit of fresh lime juice (to taste). If you have fresh tortillas to enjoy along with these you will be in heaven. Think I'll make some this weekend too!

• Unknown
    Options
    DavidR,
    Nearly forgot! Try a small chunk of jack cheese or pepper jack along in the shrimp along with the slice of jalapeno. The mozz. will work but is not as full flavored. Good luck!

• DavidR
    Options
    Barbara,[p]Well, it just so happens that the local HEB churns out freshly made tortillas everyday. They are still warm in the bag by the time I get them home.[p]Looks like we both are gonna taste heaven this weekend, huh? :)

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    DavidR,
    Where do you live? Sounds like it may be Texas. HEB is a Texas store.[p]Spring Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• DavidR
    Options
    Spring Chicken,[p]I'm the same dude that talked to ya a few weeks back, saying that I was from Stafford on I-59. Remember that I told you that I'm married to Lady Q'r, and that you and her had emailed each other?[p]That short-term memory gets tricky when you get old, don't it? ;P

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    DavidR,
    Tell me about it. We are supposed to get wiser as we age, but they didn't say anything about losing our memory or being plum stupid. Sorry about that. It will catch up to me one of these days. Should have already because I have a nephew named David Ranlett. I should be able to remember that much and connect the dots. I promise I will keep my brain in a higher gear from now on.[p]Spring Chicken