Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Family Feast

Options
Frank from Houma
Frank from Houma Posts: 5,755
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Had family visiting from Los Angeles, San Francisco, and the north shore so we did like all families do. Get together have a few adult refreshments and eat. Everything made on the XL. Even a part of the salad - roasted pumpkin seeds.

Made the salad, beans and amaretto cheescake and prepped for the other cooks Wed Night. Smoked the ribs, grilled the shrimp, and made the cornbread yesterday then topped the whole thing off with Bananas Foster for the few that were left standing.

My bride sets a nice table - dining alfresco under the Cajun Sun :laugh:

101_2548640x480.jpg

Appetiser: Curry - Mango Shrimp (went real fast)
101_2543640x480.jpg

Beans
IMG00157640x480.jpg

Ribs - mightyfine
101_2542640x480.jpg

Celtic Wolf's cornbread - Added one jalapeno finely chopped and a can of niblets (this is like an extra dessert)
101_2557640x480.jpg

The Spread - Ribs, Amaretto Cheesecake with Blueberry sauce, beans, Mexican cole slaw, CW cornbread
101_2560640x480.jpg

Bananas Foster
101_2565640x480.jpg

Mightyfine way of spending the evening with family.

Comments

• cranky
    cranky Posts: 23
    Options
    What a great looking meal!! I bet evrything disapeared in a hurry.
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    I'm still waiting for my invite! You've always been like a brother to me! :woohoo: Food looks great, table looked perfect too! Great job! I'm sure everyone enjoyed themselves.
  • Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Options
    Boy! You sure did it up right!

Mike
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    Have a half rack of ribs and just enough beans and slaw to bring to my parents. Had to start picking up fast before my BIL started with his usual doggie bag trick. :lol:
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    I always suspected I had another brother somewhere :woohoo: :woohoo:
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    It was nice. Was in a hurry this morning to make a meeting - here is a little more info.

Beans - 7.5# can of Bush beans drained. Added two cups BBQ sauce, two onions, half cup of mustard, 1-1/2 cups brown sugar, six strips of bacon cup up into small pieces and egged indirect at 350 until bacon was cooked. Added a couple strips of bacon on top and warmed in the oven at 350 until strips were cooked the next day.

Mexican Slaw - Recipe from the sides section on the forum by fyrcat.

Shrimp - Recipe my bride requested that she cut out of a magazine and I modified with a longer marinade and DP Swamp Venom
    One cup mango chutney
    6 Tbs fresh lime juice
    2 Tbs fresh grated ginger
    1 tps curry powder
    2 pounds large shrimp – peeled
    Seasoning
    Skewers
    Marinate the shrimp overnight or for a couple hours. Thread on to skewers and season. Grill direct for about 3-4 minutes/side 350-400 dome. I used DP swamp venom for seasoning.

Ribs - Pulled the membrane, mustard to hold the rub, 50/50 DP Dizzy Dust and turbinado sugar Wednesday evening, wrapped with clear wrap and into the fridge overnight. Pulled them out an hour before they went on the egg and put another application of Dizzy Dust on turbinado sugar. Used about a jar of Dizzy Dust between the two applications and same on the T-sugar. Three fist size chunks of pecan and a large handfull of apple. 250 dome until the meat pulled back about an inch and they would break over holding with tongs (right at 5 hours). SBRay's for 20 minutes and then wrapped in HDAF and into a cooler.

Amaretto Cheese Cake (real easy)
    1-1/2 cups coarse graham craker crumbs
    14 cup cup brown sugar
    1/2 stick butter, melted
    1 fifteen ounce carton ricotta cheese
    1 eight ounce package cream cheese
    4 eggs lightly beaten
    1/2 cup sugar
    1/3 cup Amaretto di Saronno
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    1/4 teaspoon salt

Combine crumbs, brown sugar, and butter. Press over bottom and sides of a greased 9-inch springform pan, chill. Beat together the ricotta and cream cheese until smooth. Add remaining ingredients - beat until smooth. Put mixture into pan. Stabilize the Egg at 325. Bake (indirect - legs up) for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until the middle is firm. Cool 20-30 minutes in pan before removing.

Made a blueberry sauce to go on top of the cheesecake.

Cornbread - Celtic Wolf's recipe - added one can of niblets and one jalapeno finely chopped. :)
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    Nice spread you got there, Frank!
  • Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    Options
    Nice. I was thinking about doing some ribs this weekend. Those pictures convinced me. It is definetly on the menu.