Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I'm Scared

Options
Metalhead
Metalhead Posts: 668
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
:woohoo: here we go....I have been looking for a fresh(green )ham to smoke on the BGE for about months....lo and behold I just found one....I am going to try and brine then smoke for A block party on the 3rd of May

wish me luck and any advice.....please respond

I am a serious ham newbie here

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    here's an idea:

Pork, Ham, Fresh, Cuban Style

INGREDIENTS:
    1 (10 to 12-pound) fresh ham
    1 cup sour orange juice (or 4 ounces orange juice and 2 ounces each lemon and lime juices)
    1 head garlic, peeled and crushed
    1 Tbs dried oregano
    2 tsp ground cumin
    1 Tbs salt
    1/2 cup water

Procedure:
    1 Mix together the juice, garlic, oregano, cumin, salt, and water. Put the ham into a large bowl or leak-proof plastic bag and pour over the marinade. Let soak in the refrigerator overnight. (Or let the marinade steep for 1 hour, strain it, and inject it directly into the ham using a marinade injector; wrap and refrigerate the ham overnight. Use any leftover marinade for basting.)
    2 Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
    3 Remove the ham from the marinade, reserving the marinade, and pat dry. Strain the marinade into a saucepan and bring it to a boil. Put the ham fat side up into a roasting pan and cook it for about 25 minutes per pound or until the internal temperature registers 155 degrees F on an instant-read thermometer. Baste the ham with the marinade every 20 minutes or so. Remove the ham, cover it with foil, and let it rest for about 15 minutes. The temperature will continue to rise to 160 degrees F. Slice and serve.

Yield: 12 to 14 servings
    Preparation time: 15 minutes
    Cooking time: 4 hours

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Meat

Recipe Source
    Source: Food Network, Julio Vila, 12/26/07

Episode#: HS0201

Copyright © 2006 Television Food Network, G.P., All Rights Reserved

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    You'll do fine! Are you wanting to slice it or pull it, when it's done?
  • Metalhead
    Metalhead Posts: 668
    Options
    I m thinking to pull it ...I have just never did a 20 llber b-4

Id like to inject it and dry rub it

just ambivelent about messing up 20 llbs of meat