Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Second and Third Cooks on the Egg

Options
Maciek
Maciek Posts: 54
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Friends came over on Saturday so I made some ABTs and two pork tenderloins. The ABTs came out perfect. The tenderloins cooked perfectly, but I wasn't thrilled with the rubs I used. I tried a coffee rub recipe I found on this forum and that tenderloin turned out well, I just wasn't a huge fan of the taste. On the second one, I used Dr. BBQs big time bbq rub recipe. Both were rubbed and rolled up in plastic wrap the night before. The BBQ rub one turned out quite salty for my tastes (but others liked it). I think it was in the rub too long.

Yesterday I made some beer chicken, grilled green peppers, and sweet potatos. Everything turned out really well.

I can't wait to do a butt or some ribs.

Also, how much longer do I have to wait until I can do a high temp cook? All three of my uses so far have been in the 300-330 range. Do I need a few more to season the gasket?

Thanks for all the advice I've already recieved! Now for the pictures.

Cookouts2and3001.jpg

Cookouts2and3002.jpg

Cookouts2and3003.jpg

Cookouts2and3005.jpg

Comments

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    The ABT's & chicken look great but correct me if I'm wrong but those are pork loins not tenderloins. I would go 5 to 6 cooks before going high temps.

Pat
  • Sodak
    Sodak Posts: 57
    Options
    They could be pork loins that happen to be tender - tender pork loins. ;)
  • Maciek
    Maciek Posts: 54
    Options
    Pat,

I'm nearly 100% they were tenderloins. Perhaps it is the size that is decieving you. They were a little less than 2 lbs a piece. In my experience, a porkl oin is much larger.
  • Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    Options
    A pork tenderloin is about 2 lbs...

A pork loin is about 10 lbs... I cut the loin into two 5 lb pieces, then prep for a while [butterfly, stuff with goodies, roll and tie] -- then sear, then roast.

Enjoy!

~ B
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    looks like you are really getting the hang of it... i would do a few more cooks before going nuclear.. i usually reccomend 8-10 cooks... but i speed it up any more i will cook something take the lump out and put it in the small.. wait until it cools and relight.. i have gotten my ten in over a weekend before. but it was alot of work and i needed to get it done before friends came over for pizza ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Looking at the nice pictures you posted, I am certain those are pork loins, probably cut in half lengthwise. The shape is completely different from pork tenderloins, as are the cooking properties. Flapoolman is correct.

Buy and cook some actual pork tenderloins and compare. You will see the difference. I really like both, but the cooking method is completely different.
  • East Cobb Eggy
    East Cobb Eggy Posts: 1,162
    Options
    Great job.

Looks really nice.

I enjoy the beer butt chick, but you need to try the Spatchcock chicken. It is a really nice way to cook the chicken as the rub can get all over and there is no need to move it during the cook. Also, it makes it really easy to carve upon completion (http://www.nakedwhiz.com/spatch.htm)

If you are looking for spices and rubs, check out the Dizzy Pig (http://dizzypigbbq.com/). All of their stuff is really good.

Greg