Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

hot tubbing without the hot tub

citychicken
citychicken Posts: 484
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
i love the hot tub method for steaks including tuna steaks. this process makes for a great rare piece of meat. however since i don't have the hot tub i found that a rice cooker will function quite nicely as a hot tub surrogate.

I simply fill the insert with warm tap water and set the cooker on the warming function. my particular rice cooker, Zojirushi, does a great job maintaining any temp that i want.

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    the hot tub isn't really necessary. in fact, those guys that actually USE a hot tub are kina making a funny.

just fill a small pot with the hottest tapwater you have, and change it if it cools...

most kitchen tapwater is 120-130 (even 140).

doesn't need to beprecisely at 100 either. there's no magic other than doing it at the same temp over and over will give you somewhat similar cook times.

i don't check the temp until the steak is nearly done, myself.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    I'm thinkin about trying a new method this summer on the sidewalk...maybe usin a magnifying glass..just gotta figure out what I'll call it :P ;) :woohoo: ..call it 'firewalkin' or sumthin.. :silly: :lol:
  • hmm, an hour or so in hot water, hit the steak with a mapp torch on both sides, could almost skip the egg! all that charcoal lighting and bother, hahaha...

just kidding about cooking witha mapp torch, tho I did see a cook do that with sushi at Roys restaurant here in NYC.