Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

When to------?

Options
Kona Tim
Kona Tim Posts: 35
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey BamaFire
just a simple question from a real neophyte here----I see mention of you guys using fire bricks, additional grids, and all that----as a general rule,when do you use these? Can't one just cook indirect by using a rack and drippan? Also, just talked to my brother in CA who's real Q nut and told him if he didn't go down to the store and pick up an EGG he doesn't have a hair on his butt (pun intended).[p]See ya,[p]Tim

Comments

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    kona tim, I think C~W 1st came up with the concept - they work really well. At the link below, there are 3 different arangements for firebricks, 2 for pizza and 1 for low and slow. The firebricks (at low temps of 200-250 degrees) seem to help stabilize the ups & downs - they aren't expensive (about $6 for 5) and make a great addition. If you check out the link, also check out the "links" section and wander to Tim M's site. [p]
    [ul][li]Firebricks[/ul]
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    kona tim,
    A second rack, and a drip pan is one great way to cook indirect. The bottom of the drip pan is cooking direct though, so drippings will burn on anything but lo/slo, and even maybe then. Water will prevent that, but needs to be replenished (usually only once or twice, if at all). Ceramic mass (fire bricks/pizza stone) under the drip pan allows you to save your drippings for gravy without burning. Use small spacers to keep bottom of pan off of the ceramic (or use Tim M's ingenious floating foil baffled drip pan method). That will keep your drippings unburnt.[p]Also firebricks are used to create an "oven" effect for baking breads and pizza, or roasting.[p]Hope that helps with your question.
    Happy to have you around.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    kona tim, first, let me extend my welcome also the BGE family of users. [p]This is what we "oldies" are here for. And yes, what your asking is the real basics of getting started with your BGE. drip pans and V racks, etc. [p]Keep it simple and neat till you get into the swing of doing the exotic cooks. I sure like your enthusiasm , and ask any questions you want too! :-) We are here to help!
    Cheers..C~W[p]

• Dr. Chicken
    Dr. Chicken Posts: 620
    Options
    Gfw,
    You do a fantastic job of explainin' things! Good to see yer still at it![p]Dr. Chicken

• Bama Fire
    Bama Fire Posts: 267
    Options
    kona tim,
    I haven't found any of 'dem fire brickies around here yet. I've used MK's ceramic pizza plate as a heat deflector when cooking boston butts. Last weekend at home depot I did pick-up another cooking grate and long screws that will enable me to cook, say chicken breast on the bottom rack and have a stir-fry going on the top rack. I think GFW's web site has pictures of how my set-up is going to work. If you haven't looked at his site yet, I would highly recommend it -- good recipes and picutres are worht a thousand words. I also spent a good deal of time on Tim M's site when I first brought my green baby home.[p]Happy EGGing![p]B~F

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    Dr. Chicken, nice to see you back - hope all is well.

• Dr. Chicken
    Dr. Chicken Posts: 620
    Options
    Gfw,
    Thanks Gordon! I'm coming around. Sometimes it feels like the old "grey mare", but I'm sure in a few days I'll be back to my normal antagonistic self![p]Thanks to all, who have welcomed me back! It sure does feel good![p]Dr. Chicken

• King-O-Coals
    Options
    Dr. Chicken, first, let me welcome you to the forum. But I'm afraid the nickname you've chosen is already chosen. There was a crusty old guy who occasionally posted stuff here and he was known as Doctor Chicken. He lived up there where Dorothy and Toto was from. I hear he got so lazy he checked into an institution where they would bathe and feed him while he just laid around in bed with a t.v. remote control in one hand, and a button that called for assistance (in-case he had an accident) in his other hand. I have heard that he really digs the service he's getting in there, and he may just decide to stay. He has gotten to the point where he cries while watching the heartbreaking saga's on the daily soaps. I've already applied for his egg, but his wife tells me if I get the egg, I must also make room for her. I ain't too hip on that idea though cause I had two boats once,, and that was enough to run a good man down.[p]If we don't hear from him in a day or two,, you can have the name,,, but you've got to be just as "out-of-control" as he was. WELCOME BACK DOC! :^)