Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Medium Egg v. Large

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
You've all convinced me! I'm going out to buy an Egg this afternoon. However, I am unsure if a large egg is better than a medium unit. There are six people in my family and we entertain fairly frequently, so I'm leaning towards the large unit. Having said that, experience has taught me that bigger isn't always better. Any strong opinions either way?? Thanks!

Comments

• Fireball
    Fireball Posts: 354
    JHudson,
    With six people to feed, get the large. Latter on you can back it up with a medium. You will want, need, more than one.
    Fireball

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    JHudson, unless getting the large will delay your purchase, get the large. You'll find it's not too large for small cooks but can do things you cannot do on a medium. The medium is a great cooker and can do an awful lot, but a large can just do more.

• JHudson,[p]Size does matter. I decided to get an Egg and went down to purchase a Medium. When I got there an saw the large, it was obvious that I had to have it over the medium....no regrets. Now I have a small...perfect match[p]KT

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    JHudson,
    If price is no object, get the large. It gives you more flexibility in your cooks. A small or medium later on would be a nice addition. I decided on the large even when 90% of my cooks are for the two of us. Glad I did. The next one will be smaller but I am in no hurry. Get the Large. You will be glad you did.[p]Spring Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    JHudson,[p]I have a medium and love it, but it just the Mrs and me. For the family you describe, I think the large is better suited to your needs![p]Smokey
  • haywyre
    haywyre Posts: 165
    JHudson,
    So where is everyone getting the differant sizes. The only dealer I have around me is bbq galore. and all they carry are Large Big Green Eggs and Medium covers.

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    JHudson,
    With 6 family members I would buy the large egg...I have 2 grids in my large and sometime it's full.If you are like most of us you will end up with more than one anyway...They are Great cookers.
    Larry

• nikkig
    nikkig Posts: 514
    JHudson,
    I have a family of 5, and would definately recommend a large. My large is often full for just our family dinner. Add to that, if you plan to entertain guests, you will need more room.

• JHudson, get the large. i started out with medium, recently went to a large and love it much more. temps are much easier to moderate, larger, more space and food. go for the large.

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    JHudson,
    Congrats on the new purchase...you'll be pleased.
    I'm sure I'll only echo what everyone else has said...given the number of people you'll be cooking for...go for the large!