Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hello Everyone, introduction.

Options
blown 87
blown 87 Posts: 50
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello every one, I thought a introduction is in order.

My name is Greg Nettles and I am from Sharpsburg Georgia, which is about thirty miles south of the Atlanta airport (ATL).

When I made my first post here a few days ago, I had the idea that this was not a very active forum, I was wrong about that.

Anyway, I am a auto repair shop owner, we do mostly "Made in Europe", so I will go ahead and offer that if any one needs help or guidance in the form of advice, wiring diagrams, or what ever, send me a e-mail.

My handle on this forum and others is "Blown87" because I love the sound of a supercharged engine (and the power).

I will try to post some pics of the toys.
How do you post on this forum?
Just copy the image code?

I am 51, the better half is 41 and she is VERY supportive of my toy collection,as I am of hers.

I have been a Webber baby for 30 years and have been thinking about a BGE for the last year or so, we have talked and she want me to get the XL, I am leaning toward the Large.
I am going to take her to see just how big the XL is next week.

As I said in my first post we have a cheapo Brinkman smoker, a very old small BGE that need lots of parts, and a

18" amd a 22.5 inch performer webber and several rusted out Smokey Joes.

I have talked to the area's local dealers and have decided on the one we are going to buy from.
He told me today that he has trouble getting his XL past 750 for steaks, I would have thought it would have gotten just as hot as the smaller ones, any input on this?

We are also going to get a BBQ Guru controller, I would like to get the Procomm because it looks like you can check temp on 3 pieces of meat at once with this one.

Is that possible with the other controllers?

test pic, I am not used to this type of forum.

luncha.jpg

luncha.jpg

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Welcome to the club! The general consensus around here is to go with a large and supplement it with a small. The cost for the two will be about the same as an XL and the combo will be more versatile. -RP
  • Rick's Tropical Delight
    Options
    or get a medium, then the next year get two larges, then the next year, get a mini.
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    Welcome.
    I live in Jackson,Ga. Feel free to send me an E if you have any questions or if you want to get together to cook. Welcome!
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Options
    Welcome to the club Greg.These egg things are awesome huh? :huh: I hope you enjoy your egg as much as I do :woohoo: I also enjoy playing with vehicles.I love playin with my Jeep as much as I did building it.If you are gonna post off topic pics,post them as OT.I still have alot of work to do on this,but I still enjoy it all the time :woohoo: :woohoo:

006.jpg
  • FlaMike
    FlaMike Posts: 648
    Options
    Welcome to the club. I've got a large, and it seems to work just fine for just the two of us, with occassional dinners for friends & neighbors. I use the Guru Competitor, pretty much only for overnight pork butts, and like it just fine.
    Good luck in whatever you choose.
  • blown 87
    Options
    Ha, guess I figured the pics out.

A couple of the toys.
    1987 supercharged Corvette and 1970 SS 454 Chevelle (built, 468, merlin heads, 250 shot, etc)

BIGLI1.jpg

The 928 I am restoring.

928backinshop3.jpg
  • blown 87
    Options
    OK, OT for the non BGE pics and posts.
    There seems to be a lot of Georgia folks here, and a lot of Southerners in general that post here. :)
  • blown 87
    Options
    Nice ride Doug.
  • blown 87
    Options
    Hi Mike, do you miss not having the wireless ability?
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    welcome to the "cult" ;)

there are a thousand reasons to buy a large and just as many to buy a XL... all depends on you...

you can search the forum for discussions on the subject we have about beat it to death... i have a large and a small and am very happy with both.. only thing that worries me is the flashback on the xl.... Celtic wolf said i do not want to see that... and i will trust him on that one ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Options
    Well.... welcome to the most incredible forum on earth..........pics came out fine, well done...........I would go easy on the BGE toys.....buy them as they are needed......as for your questions...will leave them to the eggxperts......All the best
  • blown 87
    Options
    I had not thought about how much more gases there would be with the XL, good point.
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: hey....last corvette I had was a ´98...loved it ....went to Bowling Green Kentucky...(where the plant is)...started the ´98 National Corvette Caravan in San Antonio Tex. and loved it....the Corvette museum...just great.....We´ll have something to talk about in the future... :)
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    have you seen the movie?

HERE it is...... and that is on a large

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• FlaMike
    FlaMike Posts: 648
    Options
    Nope. Don't miss it, never had it. I do sometimes use a Maverick for wireless temp reading.
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    I was at Alro last Wednesday and the guy said something about "this guy that has 3 Eggs" I told him it was you.....then realized......I have three too :woohoo:
  • blown 87
    Options
    Cool, Adam Bocca and the guys up there in Bowling Green at the Covette museum do a great job.

I do not know about the BGE toys, toys are cool, even for a old fart like me.
    I have been lusting after a BGE for a few years now, so this is not a impulse thing.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Welcome from Colorado! Love those muscle cars they are beutiful!
    I have a medium and in the process of getting a large.
    I am obsessed but love it.
    Molly
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • dhuffjr
    Options
    Howdy and welcome. Your gonna love your Egg(s).

Looks like a few have chimed in on the large small vs XL and I agree. A great combo that gives you multiple temps/types of cooks you can do at the same time.
  • Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    Options
    Welcome I am an XL owner and soon to be a MED owner. I hope you're as happy with your new egg as I was. If you have any questions please ask. We tend to be a helpful bunch. :)
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Hello Greg,

Welcome!

Grandpas Grub here, Kent Jager. I am in Taylorsville, Utah about 15 - 20 minutes away from Salt Lake City and about 10 or so minutes away from most of the 2002 Winter Olympic events.

Love the old muscle and your SS has me drooling. I had the first year Camaro Z28 my close friend had an Alpine, which I laughed at at the time. Fun and fast. Wasn't smart enough to keep the '69 T window vette. Eventually got into the early mustangs and had quite a few I was restoring until the local powers to be said I had too many cars.

The only thing I want besides possibly 1 more egg is a new Cobra with 15 or 20 sets of rear tires.

You need to let us know how many you are going to cook for most of the time and how many when there is group to gether.

Most of the time there is the wife and I and when our crew gets together we are 25 & 1/3, 12 adults and 13-1/3 kids under 12.

We are able to cook for all with the large. I have also a Medium and Small and probably will get a mini at some point in time. One of the advantages of 2 eggs is the ability to cook different type foods and different temps. I always want 2 eggs the reason for 3 or 4 other than I love the eggs is, Grandpas egg, big grandkids egg, medium grandkids egg and little grandkids eggs.

I am going to brainwash them all to be egg lovers and I want to teach them all to cook on the egg.

Glad to have ya around the board and will be looking forward to hearing more from you.

Kent.
  • Rick's Tropical Delight
    Options
    that's pretty funny because he was telling me about loyd... i think.
  • blown 87
    Options
    Hi Molly
    Colorado, What a great place your State is, I lived in Cortez for a couple of years.

A bit cold at times though. :lol:
    :)
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Welcome Greg,,, Agree with most as to the large / medium combo. Here's a couple you might like.

Pat

450 hp smallblock, Fiberglass body

100_1792.jpg

And when there's not much time for the lawn

035.jpg
  • blown 87
    Options
    Hi Kent, we could swap stories about the ones that got away, and the grandkids.

I cook mostly for 2-3, then sometimes for 7-8, mostly steaks at this point, but I want to try my hand at BBQ and ribs.

Greg

Grandpas Grub wrote:
    Hello Greg,

Welcome!

Grandpas Grub here, Kent Jager. I am in Taylorsville, Utah about 15 - 20 minutes away from Salt Lake City and about 10 or so minutes away from most of the 2002 Winter Olympic events.

Love the old muscle and your SS has me drooling. I had the first year Camaro Z28 my close friend had an Alpine, which I laughed at at the time. Fun and fast. Wasn't smart enough to keep the '69 T window vette. Eventually got into the early mustangs and had quite a few I was restoring until the local powers to be said I had too many cars.

The only thing I want besides possibly 1 more egg is a new Cobra with 15 or 20 sets of rear tires.

You need to let us know how many you are going to cook for most of the time and how many when there is group to gether.

Most of the time there is the wife and I and when our crew gets together we are 25 & 1/3, 12 adults and 13-1/3 kids under 12.

We are able to cook for all with the large. I have also a Medium and Small and probably will get a mini at some point in time. One of the advantages of 2 eggs is the ability to cook different type foods and different temps. I always want 2 eggs the reason for 3 or 4 other than I love the eggs is, Grandpas egg, big grandkids egg, medium grandkids egg and little grandkids eggs.

I am going to brainwash them all to be egg lovers and I want to teach them all to cook on the egg.

Glad to have ya around the board and will be looking forward to hearing more from you.

Kent.
  • dhuffjr
    Options
    Probably. She was there on Tuesday, me on Wednesday......did you go last week? :lol:
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    Welcome to the EggNation! Either way--LBGE or XLBGE, you can't go wrong. I converted over from W*ber kettle and gasser, along with a Black Diamond smoker last year, and hope to add my 3rd BGE soon. Started out with the Large, got a Small, and have my eyes on the XL.
  • blown 87
    Options
    i love it, I looked for a long time for a 39 Willys that I could afford.
    One thing I like about the large is how high the cooking grate is compared to the large.

FlaPoolman wrote:
    Welcome Greg,,, Agree with most as to the large / medium combo. Here's a couple you might like.

Pat

450 hp smallblock, Fiberglass body

100_1792.jpg

And when there's not much time for the lawn

035.jpg
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Grag,

I don't have an XL and have not cooked on one. So my input is Large and smaller.

From that information, my preference would be large or possibly a large and small.

If you decide on a large I would suggest you visit Tom's site TJV on the forum here and look at the adjustable rig and spider. Great accesseries. Click here to see Adjustable Rig and Spider.

I use this setup more than I do the plate setter. In fact I have a pot of chili in the
    Dutch Oven on the inverted spider right now. (Snow in the next day or so).

Let some of the people who have XL's know how many you are cooking for and get their thoughts.

Reading aboout all the cookers you have/had, much like me, you will love the egg. I am cheerfully getting 8 gas grills/gas smokers/charcoal smokers/grills this spring.

Kent
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    My '95 cherry vette isn't "blown" and all 14,503 miles were put on by me or my wife since we bought it new. The only way we may EVER part company with it is if we win a 2008 black on black vette that we are buying a raffle ticket for on Thursday. With only 500 tickets to be sold at $100 each I'm game since the rest of the proceeds go to St. Jude!

IMG_0427.jpg
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.