Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Internal temp drop

Options
Buckdodger
Buckdodger Posts: 957
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Need advise Eggsperts....Got a 4# butt going for 7 hrs. Internal got to 168 then started dropping. Dome temp has held at 250....raise the dome temp or be moooore patient??
Thanks Bob

Opelika, Alabama

Comments

• usc1321
    usc1321 Posts: 627
    Options
    patience a virtue. ;) As long as your dome temp is stable relax and have a drink. You should be okay
  • usc1321
    Options
    patience is a virtue. ;) As long as your dome temp is stable relax and have a drink. You should be okay
  • Buckdodger
    Options
    Thanks Jeff... I'm trying ...I'm trying...only problem is I might run out of Brewskis B4 i get to 190 internal. And you can't buy replacements on Sunday in this neck of the woods. If I break out the Chevas I won't care if the temp gets where it is supposed to be. Just kidding.

Bob :evil:

Opelika, Alabama
  • DynaGreaseball
    DynaGreaseball Posts: 1,409
    Options
    If you're trying to make a time deadline, it won't hurt to raise the temp of the dome up to about 300°, but not until it starts back up out of the plateau. You might want to wrap it in foil as well. Let us know
  • usc1321
    Options
    That is one draw back. Are you in GA? Not being able to re-stock on Sunday was a draw back for me when I lived there. Don't have that issue here in California. I drink one for you :laugh:
  • Buckdodger
    Options
    Jeff...I'm in central Alabama aka the Bible belt, out in the country it is forbidden to enjoy some of the finer things in life. Brewskis is a finer thing. Thanks for having one for me...Bob

Opelika, Alabama
  • Buckdodger
    Options
    Dyna G ball...no dead line. Just couldn't figure the drop in temp with the dome staying steady at 250. Will try the raise in temp and the wrap to make sure the butt gets done...Thanks
    Bob

Opelika, Alabama
  • Buckdodger
    Options
    Dyna,
    Raised the dome temp to 300...internal temp has stayed at 165 for over an hour. Will wrap and check int temp in 1 hr. Bob

Opelika, Alabama
  • DynaGreaseball
    Options
    So, it never started back up out of the plateau? Hummm. Given the amount of time it's been cooking, I think you'll be fine with foiling and raising the temp, like you did. Honestly, I've never had a butt drop in temp during the plateau, but all of the briskets I've cooked have dropped. What's the total cook time so far?
  • DynaGreaseball
    Options
    Also, you might want to question the accuracy or placement of your internal probe. Do you have a Thermapen, or another instant read thermo. that you can check it against?
  • Buckdodger
    Options
    Dyna...total cook time so far 9 hours...4 lb butt boneless. I wrapped it and the temp came up to 168 (2 degrees) after being wrapped for an hour. using a Polder to check internal temp. Don't have any good checkers to check accuracy of my Polder but I did check it in boiling water and it read 212 deg. Ripped off a piece of "outside meat" just for the halibut and it tasted great. Want the inside to be the same. Thanks Bob

Opelika, Alabama
  • ViennaJack
    ViennaJack Posts: 357
    Options
    Here's a Stokerlog graph of a picnic shoulder I did a couple of weeks ago. You can see a drop in internal temp while the dome temp stays solid. A lot of mine drop a few degrees before they kick out and finish.

picnicplateau.gif
  • DynaGreaseball
    Options
    I guess it could go 2-1/2 hours per pound, but I've never had one go that long. The butts that have always taken the longest per pound for me have been the under 5 pounders, however.

It'll either be the best dang butt you ever had, or it'll taste like pork chops. I'd keep on keepin' on. Wish you had some fresh brewskis to keep you company. Let us know.
  • Buckdodger
    Options
    Hey Jack,...six months ago I couldn't even spell Engineer, now I know one. The last butt I did was just as small but it had a bone in...Wonder if that made a difference ?? Thanks for the info...I'm just going to wait it out and get the int temp right. I'm retired so I have plenty of time..not enuf money but plenty of time. Have a good one. Bob
    B)

Opelika, Alabama
  • DynaGreaseball
    Options
    In fact, I wish I were there drinkin one with you. I've had the flu for 2 weeks, and I'm just now gettin up and out.
  • Buckdodger
    Options
    Halleylooyah...Int temp up to 170 and rising. Had to sneak a peek while I wrapped this rascal.
    looked good and snuck a chunk of outside meat yummy. Will not run out of refreshments B4 this rascal is done. I know how to stay one step in front of the "Revenuers" in this county.
    My first car was a 49 Ford and I could out run any Chev or Crown Vic on the road today.

:woohoo: :angry: Thanks to all...Bob

Opelika, Alabama
  • Buckdodger
    Options
    Girl .....you must have had the same bug I had. The doc gave me antibiotics then a week later that Zpac med thing. It took me over three weeks to stop coughing and hacking so I could sleep at night. Now I'm back in business...will drink one in ur honor if thats OK.

;)

Bob

Opelika, Alabama
  • Buckdodger
    Options
    My apologies....pls accept. Thought Dyna was a Dinah...it's hell being a newbie. And I retract the wink. ...Bob

Opelika, Alabama
  • DynaGreaseball
    Options
    No harm done. How's the butt?
  • Buckdodger
    Options
    Sitting on 185 after 11 hrs. Glad no harm done sent you an apologetic e-mail. Will have one for U. Bob

Opelika, Alabama
  • Buckdodger
    Options
    Almost 12 hrs for my 4 pounder and a 1 hour wrap in the cooler and finally it is done...So much for 2hrs / lb. Might have been Bcause it was boneless. Meat pulled apart with two forks and was tender as butter. Thanks for the tips gang...Bob

Opelika, Alabama
  • usc1321
    Options
    I glad to hear it all worked out... The thing with long slow cooks is you just never know. Sometimes they cook too quick (turbobutts), sometimes too slow (like yours tonight), sometimes just right (like mine :laugh: ), I guess you have to just play it by ear B) Next time we would ALL like to see some pictures of the final product :laugh: ;)B)
  • DynaGreaseball
    Options
    Great job! Glad it turned out so well. I've never had one go that long. I applaud your patience.

Now, get a camera and start showing yor butts!