Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

gumbo on the BGE

Options
nodak
nodak Posts: 13
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi all,

has anyone on here tried gumbo on their BGE? I just purchased the dutch oven and am trying to decide what my first masterpiece shall be. I think the BGE would add to the gumbo's flavor, but I've never made it before in the first place. Any ideas?

Comments

• Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    OK, now this is weird...I am making gumbo tomorrow in my DO on the egg...first time I've tried it but expect it will be just fine :woohoo:
  • nodak
    Options
    Very strange indeed! I think I am going to try just a chicken and okra gumbo. I was thinking of seafood, but i have no idea what kind of flavor that would end up with.
  • Eggtucky
    Options
    I'm going with chicken, shrimp, and lump crabmeat with Okra..only problem is I couldn't find fresh okra at the dang store y'day so having to use frozen :angry:
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    You guys ganging up on me or just hungry for gumbo? lol

Stew, Gumbo, Turkey & Sausage, Richard Fl

Oh! What to do with all those great turkey leftovers? A friend of mine who works in a BBQ joint gave me the legs and wings of 4 BBQ'd turkeys yesterday and asked me to make some gumbo. TUFF Project!!

INGREDIENTS:
    3 Stalks Celery, Diced Small
    1 Cup Bell Pepper, Red and Yellow (Seeded and Diced Small) Green will also work.
    2-3 Cups Onions, Chopped Large
    1 Cup Carrots, Diced
    3-4 Bunches Scallions, Sliced Small
    2-3 Lbs. Okra, Sliced
    2-3 Tbs Garlic, Chopped
    2 Lbs Andouille Sausage, (Cut in 1/4 length wise and then 1/4 in. pieces)
    6 Cups Turkey, Cooked, Chopped (1 in. pieces)
    10-12 Cups Turkey/Chicken Stock
    2-3 Tbs Creole Seasoning
    2 Tbs Indian River Pepper Blend
    File
    1 Can Rotel, Hot ( Optional )
    Roux
    1/2-3/4 Cup Oil, Peanut or Canola
    3/4-1 Cup Flour
    Equiptment:
    1 9 Qt Dutch Oven
    Handful Apple Wood small chunks

Procedure:
    1 I did all the preliminary cooking on the stove. ESPECIALLY the roux to control the temperature. After all was assembled and brought to a boil, it was them placed on the BGE.
    2 In a heavy bottom Dutch oven/stock pot saute in cooking oil (olive not recommended because of flavor) celery, bell peppers, onions, carrots and garlic until softened. Remove and then sauté sausage. Remove and drain. Next make the roux in the pot. When ready Slowly add some hot broth. and the rest of the ingredients. Some of the okra and broth may have to be added after an hour or so as there will be more room.. If you want hot add the Rotel the last hour.
    Roux
    1 If doing the roux in a separate pot:--In the dutch oven or a heavy duty skillet, cast iron works best, heat up the oil slowly and whisk in the flour a 1/4 at a time. Bring heat up and whisk constantly. Careful not to burn. if it burns start over, a cheap investment. It will get to the color of peanut butter or a new shiney copper penny, 10-15 minutes. Mix 1/4 cup or so to the rest of the pot and stir slowly BE CAREFUL, THE HOT ROUX MAY SPLATTER. Stir slowly and let simmer for an hour or so, stir often as the gumbo may stick to the bottom and burn if left unattended. Enjoy!
    Cooking:
    1 BGE Set up indirect, inverted, legs up, plate setter at 350°F, with little spacers between plate setter and pot, unless it has its own feet. Cook with some smoke, I used apple. Stir every hour or so for 3-4 hours. May need to add more broth or so! Ready.l
    2 This particular batch I put on at 7PM and shut down the BGE at 3:30 AM, leaving the pot in until 9 AM Great flavor.
    3 Place in a serving bowl, over rice works for some, and then add a little file. Enjoy !!!

Recipe Type
    Dutch Oven, Main Dish, Poultry

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Richard Fl, 2008/01/23
  • DynaGreaseball
    DynaGreaseball Posts: 1,409
    Options
    I have what is supposed to be the end-all recipe for Gumbo du Monde. It has not been adapted to the big green egg, but I think someone could do it fairly easily, if they wanted.

It's supposed to take all day, and it is packed full of variety.

Unless you already have a favorite recipe, here's the link to it. If you do use it, please let me know how it turns out. Just haven't done it yet.

Gumbo Du Monde
  • Eggtucky
    Options
    Wow..that's an awesome recipe Dyna...hell...it'd take me a day just to find all the ingredients! :P ..
  • DynaGreaseball
    Options
    LOL. That's why I havne't done it yet, but friends who have, can't say enough good things about it. Hope someone adapts it to the egg. Wouldn't it be great if it became a popular one.
  • nodak
    Options
    I think I'm gonna try the "end-all" recipe. Hopefully I can find some GOOD okra! I will post some mouth-watering pictures tomorrow (if all goes well). Wish me luck!
  • nodak
    Options
    actually, a cross between richard fl's and dyna's
  • DynaGreaseball
    Options
    Fantastic. I'm glad you're going to take it on. Hope you like it as much as my friends do. I know I'll have to try it myself one of these days.

GOOD LUCK!