Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A note on Kingsford lump

Options
Jeffersonian
Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Anyone who has read the forum for any length of time knows that Kingsford lump does not have a very good reputation, the main complaint being that it is very sparky. That is changing.

I have it on excellent authority that Kingsford has changed sources of lump as of this past January, from the previous Argentinan supplier to one in Missouri. The wood species has also changed, the new being oak.

Most, if not all, of the Argentinian lump has passed through retailers and the American-made lump should be on the shelves. Of course, to be sure, you should check the bag for the "Made in America" label. If you see that, you know it's the new product.

Comments

• ILL--EGGER
    ILL--EGGER Posts: 478
    Options
    I'll have to keep my eyes open for kingsford lump and check for the "made in America" label. Thanks for the heads up!
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Thanks for the info. I too will keep an eye open for kingsford.

GG
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    Great tip Jeffers...worth a bag just to try it and see...Kingsford is distributed about everywhere and is easy to get..hope this is good info!
  • BamaFan
    BamaFan Posts: 658
    Options
    Have you tried the "New" yet? My first try was like cooking over a 4th of July display.
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Oh, THANKS A LOT! :-) Now I have yet another charcoal review to do....
    The Naked Whiz
  • Jeffersonian
    Options
    No rest for the wicked!

My source said Kingsford was very aware of the dissatisfaction with the Argentinian product and made their decision based on the heavy sparking issue. I might be able to put you in touch with someone there who can explain what went on. Lemme check.
  • Jeffersonian
    Options
    No, I sure haven't. Honestly, I haven't seen the Kingsford brand lump anywhere in my area. Are you sure it was the American-made stuff?
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    hehe..btw TNW...I found a lump at my BGE dealer called 'smoke 'n fire' supposed to be hardwood lump 'made by the same folks that make BGE' according to my dealer (which I think he said to get me to buy it, which I didn't). I looked all over the bag and couldn't find a hint about who made or where. I also searched the net but didn't find anything. Any idea about this brand?
  • Jeffersonian
    Options
    I've got a Smoke and Fire shop LINK a few miles west of me and they have a decent selection of accessories, a great selection of rubs, sauces and smoking wood...even a few Eggs amongst the gassers. But their in-house lump is some of the worst stuff I've ever smelled burning. I threw away at least half of the bag I bought.

Not sure if this is the same company or same lump, but if it is, avoid it like the plague.