Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First food of the new egg, and some advice needed

Maciek
Maciek Posts: 54
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey all,

I have been reading this forum for a month and finally broke down and got a large egg on Thursday. Tonight was just a plain mahi mahi fish. It turned out great! I'll try and attach some pictures, not sure if they will work.

I'm very excited about the egg and invited some friends over for a bbq tomorrow evening.

I'm planning on smoking two small pork tenderloins, one covered with a coffee rub recipe I found on this forum, and the other in a traditional bbq rub. For an appetizer I am planning on making the jalepenos with cream cheese and wrapped in bacon (ABTs? what does that stand for).

The pork tenderloins weigh 1.75 lbs each. I was planning on grilling them indirect (with plate setter legs up) at about 300 F grate temp. Please let me know if this is the proper way. I plan to pull it at about 160 F internal temp. Is this right? Also, how long should I expect it to grill? I am planning for about 2 hours.

Thanks in advance for any advice. I've been talking non stop about the egg to my friends for a week, so I want to back it up with some results!

Maciek

Comments

• Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    Atomic Buffalo Turds

I would go direct with the tenderloins till 145 internal. Injected these with Creole Butter. They didn't suck. Neither did the Spicy Shrimp.

3-1-08026.jpg

Randy's (AZRP) Spicy shrimp are terrific.

Ingredients:
    1 lb 15 ct shrimp, peeled to the last section leaving the tail for
    a handle, butterflied
    2 Clove Garlic, minced
    1 tsp Kosher salt
    1 tsp Paprika
    1/2 tsp Cayene pepper
    2 tsp Lemon juice
    2 Tbs Olive oil

Cooking Directions:

Take 1 tsp of kosher salt and 2 garlic cloves(minced) and mash them into a paste with
    the side of your knife or a mortar and pestal(easier).
    Add to that paste 1 tsp paprika, ½ tsp cayene pepper, 2 tsp lemon juice, and 2 Tbs olive
    oil.
    Thaw and peel the shrimp, all but the tail section, for a handle. Butterfly them by cutting
    down the back halfway through the shrimp. If they have a vein remove it now.
    Mix the shrimp with the marinade then grill direct. Go about 2 minutes on the first side at
    about 400 dome, when they start to curl up, flip them and watch until they curl fairly tight
    and remove immediately. Some of them won't curl tight but you can pretty much tellwhen they are done, don't overcook!
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    ditto re:145 internal
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Maciek
    Ok, so direct until 145 internal temperature. What temperature should the grate be? Any estimates on how long it will take to cook?

Thanks for the replies!

BigGreenEgg004.jpg

BigGreenEgg006.jpg
  • Mike in Abita
    Those were 350 dome for about 45 min to an hour. Shrimp went on during the last 10 min or so. Loins were at 135 at that point.
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    ABT = Atomic Buffalo Turd
    The Naked Whiz
  • usc1321
    usc1321 Posts: 627
    First and most important.. Welcome to life with the Egg and this forum. It looks like you have gotten most of your answers by now. Those are some nice pics of your first cook. Good luck with the porkloins and ABT's tomorrow. I have a great recipe for tenderloins if you want to try it sometime, kind of a family secret. There is a ton of knowledge here so don't be afraid to ask. Ohh make sure you are careful around your egg sitting like that if it got knocked over I would cry ....can't imaging what you would do. :laugh:
  • Mike in Abita
    I'm always looking for new tenderloin recipes. Send one my way.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Thanks Mike, I'm cooking the shrimp tomorrow for the after party at Oklahoma. I do tenderloins with 350 dome temp, direct, turning a quarter turn every 10 minutes until they reach 145 internal. Then a 10-15 minute rest. -RP
  • Mike in Abita
    I'm doing your shrimp and some blackened lemon fish tomorrow. Tell everyone I said hello and you and Kim have a great time.
  • Maciek
    Thanks for the welcome and the responses.

I would love to try your recipe if you'd like to share it. I'm a big fan of pork tenderloin, so I'm sure I'll be making it again soon.

Although it may not look like it, the egg is actually very steady right now. I was pretty careful when placing it down. I am planning on building a table, so I didn't want to spend the money on a nest that would only be used for a few weeks.

I'll be sure to share how everything goes tomorrow. Thanks again!

Maciek