Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Big Green Egg vs. Primo Smoker/Grill

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello Everyone,

I've been lurking here for a few days and was wondering if anyone has any opinions about the difference between the Big Green Egg and the Primo smoker/grills. I'm leaning toward getting the Big Green Egg (I don't have one now) and I also have a dealer trying to talk me into a Primo. I'm so new I don't know what to think. He said that the Primo's are better, bigger, and made in the USA. I'm really leaning toward the Big Green Egg but I have to admit that I'm still undecided. Please give me ANY opinions you have.

Also is there a big learning curve with using these and would you all buy one again given the option or do you just try to make use of a bad decision. I'm sure that you would buy again but I'm looking for reasons why you would.

And my last question, about how many years do the Big Green Eggs last?

Thank you for all your help and I'll look forward to seeing your answers.

PJG

Comments

• Pharmeggist
    Pharmeggist Posts: 1,191
    Options
    I looked quite extensively at the Primo and BGE for several months before my first purchase of a Large BGE in Sept. O6.

Several Factors convinced me to by a BGE:
    1) My Dad and Brother have Medium BGE's
    2) My Sister and her husband have a Large BGE
    3) My sisters Mother in law has 2 Large BGE's
    4) Honestly, at the time I thought I would by an Oval and be different but then I saw the Naked Whiz Website
    www.nakedwhiz.com; I found this forum; and to top it off I found about EGG-FESTS. The Primo became less attractive. (Primo has a much better user forum than before... don't get me wrong but I would be green with envy to see the cult like following that goes along with being an Egg-head)
    5) 2 Years later I have a Large, Small, & mini BGE and have NO REGRETS
    6) If you buy a Primo have fun but It just isn't the same in my eyes ;)

~Pharmeggist
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Both are great cookers but I prefer the egg. A good friend just became a Primo dealer and I stopped by his store today. I think there are more after market things for the egg but both use the same principles for ceramic cooking. He offered me a Primo at cost but told him I'm holding out for a small egg to add to the family. Alot of friendly jabbering but when I give him an egg recipe it also works for the Primo. Guess I'm just an EGGHEAD.
    Another question to toss out there. He has Primo lump that he was told is also made by RO. Checked NW's site but could not find it. Maybe it's that new?

Pat
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    Options
    there is a learning curve but then again this is a alton brown multi tasker. low and slo to nuke temps and anything in between . if you can cook it in the oven you can cook it on the egg and more except egggfood tastes better.
    why, the boys were afraid to eat the first egged chicken because it was too moist! they won't eat asparagus boiled any more, only egged.
    large almost 3 years mini for 2 . chimnea and maybe a small this year.
    pictures don't do it justice

mini059.jpg

mini062.jpg

mini063.jpg
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    well... once BGE figured it all out, it was easy for primo to copy it and make it cheaper. kinda like pepsi.

people will argue passionately either way about which is better, and one might cost more than the other... but, in the end, one is the original, and the other is the copy. why is a primo green, anyway?

hmmm.
    i wonder
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Options
    They are both great! Go with your heart. Mine is green and shaped like an egg....but I'm biased.

Good luck on your decision. Hope to see you posting here in the future.

Mike
  • Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    Options
    As far as coking goes they are equal. I went through the same questions you have and I selected the BGE for a few reasons. The warranty and quality of service I received from the BGE company is by far the most important reason for my purchase. They go above and beyond to make sure their customers are well taken care of. This forum ranks a close second. You can come here ask a question and have it answered by multiple people in a relatively short period of time.

I think your sales man must be getting a better commission off the Primo. They are not better than an EGG.

There is a small learning curve with any ceramic cooker. If you have used any other cooker it took awhile to find the sweet spot but through patience and practice you found it. The egg is a very forgiving cooker even my first try was better than most of the other cooks off the kettle.

As far as how long it'll last. A LIFETIME. Or two.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    You say you have been lurking for "days" - well I lurked for nearly 6 months! That was 8 years ago and as it has been pointed out P has a new board since that time. If you believe there must be a reason more people buy a BGE over a P then study the activity on the two boards. Sure, you can be a maverick and travel the road less traveled, but there is much comfort to be gained in knowing you will have a H U G E family with BGE. Besides, this is a lifetime purchase and what's a little more initial outlay for a proven winner? - a winner that was cloned by P. Get my point? BTW I now own 4 ceramic cookers...and I'm proud to say - they are ALL BGE's!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • usc1321
    usc1321 Posts: 627
    Options
    I looked at both and bought my large BGE last Sept. NO REGRETS. I love it so much just ordered a new small to go with the large. My wife and family loves it. Can't remember the last time we cooked inside. GET A BGE> You will love it forever! When I say forever, it will last forever. You will need to take care of her, but it has a lifetime warranty and last forever. B) :woohoo: :silly:
  • Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    Options
    Well, I looked at both, and decided I was too poor to buy anything. But, wifey-poo surprised me about 18 months ago, and there was a BGE delivered for my B-Day.

That's how I got a BGE.

My dealer has stood behind the warranty. I have no complaints with him.

But, I've since discovered another local BGE dealer really takes care of me [and takes care of all his customers], so I'll be sticking with him... got my second Egg there.

Good luck! Whichever you get, the principles will be the same... Be a regular on the forum --

~ B
    :)
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    One of Broc's dealers who I have never bought from helped me, I am 3, 4, 5 states away from them.

Come to think if it...

My dealer has helped me here in the western part of country,
    Broc's dealer has helped me,
    BGE direct has helped me,
    Fred's Guitar & BBQ has sent me some recipes,
    There are some other dealers on the forum that under their screen name have helped me,
    Then there are countless folks on the forum that have helped me,

Wonder if that qualifies me for being helpless...

No, that's another reason for getting a Big Green Egg. It just doesn't matter, dealer or forum member they are all there to help all of us out.

There are a lot of intangable reasons to get an egg.

GG