Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza Newbie Learning One Step at a Time

Options
TomM24
TomM24 Posts: 1,366
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Never cooked pizza BE ( Before Egg) So I'm taking it slow and cooking when the better cook isn't home. Tonights challenge making the dough but I'm taking it slow so it came from a box :) So for three times what a dough cost around the corner at our favorite pizzaria I can "make my own" Here is the dough after mixing 6 minutes on the better cooks CA. Oh by the way don't tell her ;)
P1010692.jpg
One hour later it look like this
P1010693.jpg
I used her grandma's rolling pin, I know wrong on two counts but hey it is what is was meant for. and here is the pie ready to be egged
P1010694.jpg
10 minutes at 625 and the topping looked done but the crust could have cooked more.

P1010696.jpg
I need to toss a little of the crust as it is meant for a 14 inch pie. But I like a bready pie so ok but not to most peoples taste. The sauce was Boboli which I think is great cheese was 4 blend mexican lefteover from the Eggtucky Pie and Mozarella Provalone with pepperoni.

All in all a good learning eggsperience I got to get used to working with the dough and how to handle it.

Comments

• Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    good start Tom..but i gotta tell ya..my wife uses a homemade dough recipe passed down from her Italian grandmother...guess what...you can also buy damn good pre made dough that is a LOT less trouble (takes her a couple hours to make this dough) and you can concentrate on the makins and the cookins..and I doubt you'll be able to tell the diff..just mho.. been there..done that...looks good though ;)
  • TomM24
    Options
    Tucky:

I here ya but some times the fun is in the journey. Not an everyday thing.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    I'll pray for you on both counts of crossing the better half but thats 1 fine looking pizza. Hope it's worth it. (usually works for the best here)

Pat
  • TomM24
    Options
    I fessed up tonight when she asked why the kitchen is such a mess. Alls goood. In the bigger picture having some cooking fun is not a big deal as long as there aren't any risky fire related transgressions. That's why I don't use the weed burner. When she cooks you should see the pile pots, but I never complaint cause the food is great. :)
  • Chef in the Making
    Options
    That is one fine looking pie. Any leftovers?
  • TomM24
    Options
    Thanks, one slice but it will be gone tomorrow
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    That's a mightyfine looking pie.
  • 407BGE
    407BGE Posts: 187
    Options
    How long did you let the stone preheat? I have not started to do Pizza's on the Egg but have done many in the oven. Crust getting crispy is an issue of preheating the stone. I usually preheat my stone in the oven at 550 for at least 60 minutes.

That may seem long but you want the heat all the way into the stone and 20 minutes does not seem to do that.

I'll be interested in starting to do pizza's after I get better at using the Egg.
  • Mocamarc
    Mocamarc Posts: 20
    Options
    For best results, stones should be heated for 45 minutes to an hour. Put plenty of charcoal into the egg. I cook at 550-600 degrees.
  • Questions on pizza:
    On the pix you posted, the pizza is on a piece of paper. I've had trouble getting the pizza on and off of the stone. I just got a peel, but am wondering about getting the raw pizza on the peel without a mishap. Paper solves the problem? I have plenty of baker's parchment I can use. Advice?