Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fajitas Anyone???

Options
Da Coon-Ass Chef
Da Coon-Ass Chef Posts: 3
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
New EggHead here and very excited.

I looked on the recipe section of the site and only saw 1 recipe for Fajitas. I have some top sirloin and was looking to impress the family with my new cooking device that I have been talking about for all too long. If anyone has something special for fajitas or anything else with Top Sirloin for that matter, please let me know. I'm looking for a long and happy marriage with my new green friend. Thanks!

Comments

• "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Options
    Hey man,I havn't tried fajitas yet.Go to the seach box above the army guy and type it in.This will bring up many posts and great ideas. ;) Good luck,
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Here is one.

Mexican, Fajitas, Cinco De Mayo, RhumAndJerk

This recipe turned out better than expected. It is a nice way to feed quite a few people while keeping the cost down. Less than one pond of beef feed four hungry adults with leftovers. I did offer chicken and rice as well, that helped stretch the beef. The texture of the beef was chewy but not tuff. I used Mesquite Lump to cook the meat. I used Jose Cuervo Gold Tequila in this recipe. I also used fresh ground Tellichary Pepper and only a pinch of Kosher Salt.

INGREDIENTS:
    1 Skirt Steak, about 2/3 of a pound
    1 Fresh Lime, juiced
    3 Clove Garlic, crushed
    1 Fresh Jalapeno, chopped with seeds
    6 sprigs Fresh Cilantro, chopped
    1/4 cup Tequila
    Kosher Salt
    Fresh Ground Pepper

Preparation Directions
    1 With a meat-tenderizing hammer, pound the steak some.
    2 Combine all ingredients in a zip-loc bag.
    3 Marinade overnight.
    Cooking Directions
    1 Heat the BGE to about 700.
    2 Grill the steak for about 2 minutes per side and let them dwell for two minutes more.
    3 When the steak is done, cut across the grain with an angled diagonal cut. This will help decrease the chewyness of the meat.
    Special Instructions
    1 Serve with you favorite tortillas and toppings.
    TOPPING CHOICES
    1 Rice
    2 Fresh Tomatoes
    3 Fresh chopped Onions (Both Green and Yellow or Red)
    4 Fresh Chopped Chiles
    5 Fresh Lime Slices
    6 Cheese
    7 Sour Cream
    8 Fresh Chopped Cilantro
    9 Your favorite Salsa
    10 Notice the emphasis is on Fresh.

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Meat

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, RhumAndJerk
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    I really enjoy the marinade for Fajitas from Alton Brown's episode Raising the Steaks. Skirt Steak
    The Naked Whiz
  • Susan Egglaine
    Susan Egglaine Posts: 2,437
    Options
    Morning, I logged on just to see your profile. Does not say much, where are you from? WELCOME!!!
  • Da Coon-Ass Chef
    Options
    Thanks everyone I really appreciate it. Sorry my newbie-ness shows. I did search old posts manually but didn't see the "Search" section over the Army fella.

I will fill out my profile, but since you asked I am from New Orleans and gearing up for our beloved Jazzfest. I live in walking distance and hope to show all the festival goers that we have some meat to go along with all those crawfish! Thanks again for all the help!
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    I just cooked the chicken fajita recipe in the Cookbook, and it was excellent. I posted some pics in today's "Woosday" thread.

I've cooked steak fajitas and, believe it or not, I used the fajita seasoning as a rub before TRexing the beef. I use about 2/3 of the package on the steak, the rest on the grilled onions and peppers. My family went wild over them.