Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pineapple Butt Cornish Hens

Options
BlueSmoke
BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I wanted to make beer butt hens yesterday, but the cans are all too big. I bought a six-pack of single serving pineapple juices and used them instead. I poured half of each can into a spray bottle, then set the tiny little fellers on just like you'd do their bigger cousins with a can o' suds. I sprayed them with the leftover juice on the half hour, and after 2 hours at 300º they were a beautiful golden brown. I'm thinking of cleaning the cans up and saving them, so next time I can make beer butt hens.

Comments

• Vegas Slim
    Vegas Slim Posts: 166
    Options
    BlueSmoke, well HOW DID THEY TASTE???:)

• Ca_rnivore
    Ca_rnivore Posts: 120
    Options
    BlueSmoke,[p]Good job! I like the idea. I just spatchcocked a couple of gamehens this last weekend. Very good, just like the
    "big" chickens![p]--Kevin

• Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    Options
    Hi Ken,
    I use the small pineapple juice cans for beer-butt birds. They work great, wash up well in the dishwasher a time or two, and are much easier to remove from a roasted bird. This can size is also common for tomato paste. Just FYI.[p]I ASSUME they were great-tasting birds![p]Cheers,
    Gretl[p]p.s. This recipe is why I buy pineapple juice. It was posted by Zip a couple of years back and is a real keeper. My only change is that I use fresh grated ginger and finely minced onions instead of the powder. I also reward the chef (moi) with some EXTRA Jim Beam. Wild Turkey. Whatever.

Posted by Zip on July 19, 2000 at 21:58:43:[p] The recipe is a lot like the "Huli Huli Chicken". Last night I used
    boneless thighs and let them soak for three hours. I cooked them direct at
    350° - 375° turning frequently and basting with the leftover marinade. It
    guess it took about 25 minutes to cook 'em. I took them off when they were
    very brown and a little charred. Once off the egg, I put them in a pan and
    covered with tin foil and allowed to sit for about 10 minutes. I then cut
    'em up and drizzled a little more of the marinade over the strips and
    served over rice. A little steamed cabbage and some Texas Pete or Franks
    hot sauce is nice too![p] 1/2 cup of dark brown sugar
    1/4 cup bourbon - I used Jim Beam
    1 1/2 tsp of ginger powder
    1 Tbls of minced garlic
    1 1/2 Tbls onion powder
    1 tsp of coriander
    3 oz pineapple juice
    1/2 cup soy sauce[p] Mix ingredients well and pour about half over the chicken pieces in a
    Ziplock back. Squeeze the air out and marinate in the icebox for several
    hours. The remaining marinade needs to be simmered for about 10 minutes
    and allowed to reduce by 1/3. It will be somewhat syrupy once reduced. I
    used the reduced sauce to baste the chicken while it cooked and then added
    a little more once it was done and cut up. I have some small squeeze
    bottles that I use to apply it while it was cooking as to not cross
    contaminate. There are several versions of this floating around, so I just
    tasted as I added to the soy - sugar - ginger base.[p] I hope you enjoy it as much as we did![p] Zip[p]

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    Gretl,
    I was so impressed with my cleverness I forgot the most important part: they tasted as delicious as they looked. And I should have known someone, especially someone with your ingenuity would have come up with the technique.[p]I'm saving Zip's recipe: looks like a good one to have on hand.