Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Can I fit 2 Boston Butts on the egg?

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello, [p]I was wondering if anyone has tried to fit two boston butts on a large egg at the same time. I'm pretty sure two v-racks won't fit. Could I lay them both on the grill extender and then put drip pans underneath?[p]Thanks in advance.[p]Sean

Comments

• BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    Sean,
    Yup. Have had two whole shoulders (30 lbs combined) on there at once; two butts should have plenty of room. With one V-rack, nestle them 'butt to butt' (no pun intended) on each 'arm' of the V-rack and smoke away! The grill-extender is another viable option. Two butts at or under 12 lbs apiece should fit nicely in either configuration.
    Qfan

• Carl T
    Carl T Posts: 179
    3_butts_on_2_levels.jpg
    <p />Sean,[p]You can do three 7-8 pounders with no problem.[p]Carl T

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Carl T, cant't really tell from the picture but I assume
    you are doing indirect? Do you just have the bottom one set in a drip pan? I have not thought about doing two stacked.

• Carl T
    Carl T Posts: 179
    Wise One,[p]I removed the fire ring, placed three 2" spacers (sawcut fire brick pieces) on top of the fire bowl and then the inverted plate setter on top of the spacers. This allowed the extra room to stack two grates on top of the inverted setter while the spacers under the setter allowed for a full load of lump. used a foil drip pan on the setter under the lower grate. It worked really well. I could have put a second butt on the upper grill for a total of four butts if needed.[p]Carl T

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    PP01-16-2000-03.jpg
    <p />Sean, the picture is of two 7lb butts on my medium. Your large could handle more!

[ul][li]Gfw's BBQ[/ul]
  • Sean,
    Over Memorial Day weekend I did two butts at the same time. One was 8.13 lbs and the other was 7.63 lbs. I think I could have done 3 by using a grid extender on fire bricks.[p]Several months ago I didn't want to spend 19 hrs cooking so I did 3 butts each about 4-4.5 lbs. These took about 12 hours (I took them off a little early). They turned out really good. [p]I always get the bone removed.[p]