Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Steak Fries

ViennaJack
ViennaJack Posts: 357
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Steak fries on the LBGE - lightly coated with vegetable oil and dusted with Dr. BBQ Eastern BBQ rub, then cooked indirect at 400 degrees until "dry":

IMG_0772.jpg

IMG_0771.jpg

Comments

• APeoples
    APeoples Posts: 23
    Fries look great!

Question: It looks like you're using the plate setter AND you've got the fries in a pan. Is that necessary? Is one indirect enough...say EITHER the platesetter OR the pan. Maybe you're just using the pan so you dont lose fries through the grill? I'm a fan of crispier fries and I'd like to try this out.
  • Firetruck
    Firetruck Posts: 2,679
    Love thoes macro shots, makes me want to lick the screen.
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    They sure do look great and remind me of a recipe that I have used from Cooks Illustrated under Oven Fies.If those guys are crispy and a soft center you might have put down the CI recipe.It seems to be a lot faster and easier to get to the end result.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Those look really really good.
  • ViennaJack
    APeoples wrote:
    Fries look great!

Question: It looks like you're using the plate setter AND you've got the fries in a pan. Is that necessary? Is one indirect enough...say EITHER the platesetter OR the pan. Maybe you're just using the pan so you dont lose fries through the grill? I'm a fan of crispier fries and I'd like to try this out.

I stole the idea from "oven fries" and other "fried" food that gets cooked in the oven. Using the pan and a light coating of oil actually lets the fries "fry" in the Egg. With the platesetter, I get the convection oven going, so the bottom of the pan is not subjected to the direct radiant heat from the coals. I cook them until they seem "dry", which this time turned out to be around 40 minutes I think. The longer the cook, the crispier they get! I turned them every 10 minutes with a spatula.

I have done potatoes direct before and that works out fine too. I use a "grill wok" on the porcelain grid:

fingerlings2.jpg
  • ViennaJack
    Darnoc wrote:
    They sure do look great and remind me of a recipe that I have used from Cooks Illustrated under Oven Fies.If those guys are crispy and a soft center you might have put down the CI recipe.It seems to be a lot faster and easier to get to the end result.

These crisped up nicely on the outside and they were very soft inside too.
  • Steak fries on the LBGE - lightly coated with vegetable oil and dusted with Dr. BBQ Eastern BBQ rub, then cooked indirect at 400 degrees until "dry":

IMG_0772.jpg

IMG_0771.jpg
    They don't look "dry" to me, but greasy in your macro. Oven fries do turn out dry.
    Judy in San Diego
  • anzyegg
    anzyegg Posts: 1,104
    I'd like to try some of these. Delicious!
  • bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    I usually microwave potatoes with jackets on until they are partially cooked, slice them thinly, put on some olive oil, and cook direct on one of those perforated grill pans to keep them from dropping into the fire.  You get a nice crusty exterior and soft interior.  Much better than trying to cook them from the raw state.
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    edited December 2014
    I am sure the OP has stopped worrying about how "dry" they we're in the 6 years since this post =))
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Those look great...The only thing that could be improved on... If they were on a plate in front of me.. Awesome cook and post.. =D>
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,726
    Must try this!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• MeTed
    MeTed Posts: 800
    I just these with frozen fries with chris Lilley`s pork butt rub in a cast iron pan and they were great! Thanks!
    Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter