Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Who’s ready for football and tailgating? We are! Check out our tailgating page for recipes that are great to bring to a tailgate, or cook at home if you’re entertaining friends during a game. If you need an easy breakfast recipe, these Sticky Buns are the way to go. If you’re looking for a fan favorite with bacon, try these Double Pork Sliders. We can’t wait to kick off another fall full of tasty food!

Coming to Atlanta for EGGtoberfest? Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340 - NOTE we are CLOSED on Saturday OCT 10th for EGGtoberfest.

Butcher String?

civil eggineercivil eggineer Posts: 1,547
edited 4:07PM in EggHead Forum
Can anyone shed some light on using butcher string compared to regular cotton string for tying meat? Is there any difference?

• stikestike Posts: 15,597
    yeah. cotton string is absorbent and will stick to your meat, cooking into it.

linen string is best, then good old butcher's twine. but cotton will absorb from the beef, and that will cook when the beef does, thereby sticking to the meat.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • TuckTuck Posts: 54
    When I made my stuffed tenderloin, I looked all over Walmart and Albertsons trying to find butcher's twine and when I asked people they just looked at me funny. I ended up wrapping up my tenderloin with bacon.

Where would I find the butcher's twine?
    at the butcher's !

ask him for some, and he'll wind it around his hand and give you a fistful. that is, if he doesn't offer to tie it for you.
    but you can get it at william's sonoma, any 'linens and things' type of kitchen store, etc.
  • fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 17,702
    the butcher will cut you some if you ask. for a lot more money william sanoma has it in a wooden container shaped like an acorn that will keep the string clean and handy on the counter with a lifetime supply for the ave cook. i think i paid about 19 bucks for it.
  • FidelFidel Posts: 10,171
    I got a huge spool of it at Kroger for about 2 bucks.
  • The butcher in the grocery store has given me twine anytime I needed it. However, I find that I often don't realize I need it until the moment I need it and it would be great to know that I had a supply at home.
  • AZRPAZRP Posts: 10,116
    In any grocery store, it will be hanging on a card where all the utensils are displayed. -RP
  • fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 17,702
    this is the one i picked up a couple years ago, i like it because the string stays clean, free from dust and oil saturation which accumulates fast in my kitchen. you dont get meat drippings on it either as you just pull out what you need and cut it without ever touching the spool.
  • I use a tupperware container with a slit cut through the top to feed the sting through. Not as cool as the acorn but works well...
  • RascalRascal Posts: 3,362
    I use whatever I have on hand and never had a problem. If a little meat/skin sticks to the string, it ain't gonna matter. Just don't get youself entwined with the issue... 8 -)

i've had it stick like ugly on a monkey to tenderloin. not the kinda thing you want to learn on.

sure, if it's fatty, probably no big deal.
  • Cpt'n CookCpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    It's tasty when done properly but a little stringy.
  • lowercasebilllowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    google or amazon will give you lots of results . be sure to check what it is made of. polyester ain't for cooking as far as i am concerned.
  • East Cobb EggyEast Cobb Eggy Posts: 1,162
    I picked up some at Crate and Barrel.