Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boston Butt @ 192°F... When should I pull it off?

Byrdo
Byrdo Posts: 36
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am a little confused. I am 12 hours into my BBQ and my 7 lbs BB is at 192°F (Dome temp flat-lined at ~ 250°F all night). [p]My question is: I have seen several different temps used for the final or pull off temp, anywhere from 185°F to 200°F. What is the difference and when should I get it off of there?

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Byrdo,
    200 really does seem to be the magic number for butts. Briskets come off at 185 at our house, but butts always to 200. Once I slipped, and let it get to 210, and it was suprisingly good. It really pulled apart into shreds easily. Pulling it of at 185 will make it pull apart in larger chunks, and you might have more fat that hasn't rendered.[p]Beers!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Stogie
    Stogie Posts: 279
    Byrdo,[p]You are pretty close and it can probably be taken off, but I would go until you see 200º. Be sure to check the temp in several places within the BB.[p]My favorite way of cooking this is to bring it to 200 - 210º and then foil and cook another hour(I turn all my vents shut so the fire chokes out). But that's just me.[p]Stogie
  • Puj
    Puj Posts: 615
    Byrdo,[p]Stick a fork into the butt and give it a good twist. If it twists easily the butt is done. If you think it needs more time, keep it in the Egg.[p]When done, wrap it in foil and a towel and place it in a cooler from anywhere between 20 minutes up to 4 hours before pulling. Happy eats.[p]Puj
  • Thanks for all the quick replies! I guess I will wait a little longer. I have been checking it every other hour since I started cooking at 8:00 PM last night... I am so ready for it to come off. The egg has performed beautifully; I haven’t had to touch it once the entire time. Just hoping I didn’t use too much mesquite.
  • Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Byrdo,
    My question is: What time and where is lunch being served?!

• Huck
    Huck Posts: 110
    You know what!? I'm on strike on this issue. Just say no to calling a smoked/BBQd butt a Boston! Bostonians wouldn't know good Q if it bit 'em in the "butt"! Call it Bama Butt, Texas Tush, Carolina Can, Atlanta Ass, Chattanooga Cow Cow. Boston and Q is just plain WRONG! Anybody that can't pronounce car, idea, park etc. just ain't going to be able to invent whoopass pork butt.[p]Whew! I'm done now!
  • WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Huck,[p]Woohoooo! Thanks for my best laugh today.
    All of your alternative names work for me. LOL
    'Chattanooga Cow Cow'....... too much![p]WD

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Huck,[p]Boston Butt it is and always will be and, to top it off we have LOBSTAH and CHOWDAH and we eat STEAMAHS with our lobstah and chowdah. So theah! ;>)

• Gloria
    Gloria Posts: 161
    Byrdo,
    To paraphrase Gertrude Stein (with apologies) "A hawg is a hawg is a hawg."

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Sundown,
    Now, go have a bwahttle of beeAH!

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Byrdo
    Byrdo Posts: 36
    Shelby,[p]Sorry I did not check the forum sooner. I just got done finishing the last bit making Pulled Pork Enchiladas. They were really good, however, they were no match for the PP sandwiches served on sourdough rolls with some BBQ sauce from back home(Brick Pit in Mobile, AL).