Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Another rib question

Options
Buckdodger
Buckdodger Posts: 957
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Somewhere along the line somebody told me that the only dumb question is the one that didn't get asked. So here goes...The ribs I did yesterday turned out really good. I followed the playing with Fire and Smoke method. Carwash Mike / Guest Pit Boss.

They were on for about 4 1/2 to 5 hrs. The meat was about 1/2" or so above the bone. I did the rack pick up method to test for doneness. They passed that test. The meat was like butter and very tastey...looked just like the ribs I've seen posted by the Eggsperts.

The wife said they tasted great but she did not care for the texture of the meat. Too Soft. Should I leave them on longer to get the chewier texture?? Thanks gang.
Bob
Alex City, Al :ermm:

Opelika, Alabama

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    If the meat was falling off the bone, you probably cooked them a little too long. Leaving them on longer won't firm them up until they dry out and start to burn. If they tasted good you did alright. -RP
  • Buckdodger
    Options
    Thanks RP...the meat was not falling off the bone but it was soft and tender. The meat that I cooked on the old gasser was tender but kind of chewey....The egg holds in the moisture so well that I don't think I can achieve the texture.

Thanks again...Bob

Opelika, Alabama
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    You can shorten the cook maybe 30 minutes, or you can do a quick grill and sauce before serving. sometimes mushy ribs just are not good. I went to a rest. and they boasted their ribs were smoked for 3 hours, gee they tasted like pork chops to me, tough and tasteless.
  • Buckdodger
    Options
    Tack18K....Thanks for your help but I think one of the guys solved my problem. I was cooking with dome temp at 225, which meant the grate temp was significantly less. Probably Blow 200. Cooking for 4 1/2 hours got the meat safe to eat but not done Enuf. The ribs had good flavor, can't complain about taste. Texture was my problem.

Thanks for your reply....Bob

Opelika, Alabama