Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Newbie with a big butt question???

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just recently started cooking with a large BGE and LOVE IT. Can you
experts tell me how many pounds of butt I can smoke per cook? The
wife is having a bunch of her hungry relatives over for a memorial
day feast. These folks, especially her Uncle Shorty, can really put
away the bacon! LOL! Seriously, there will be about 55 to 60 folks
total. Do you think two loads of piggie (can smoke both Sunday and
Monday) will be enough to keep'em all happy. Thanks, and have a
nice Memorial Day, Ya'll!

Comments

• BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    Options
    BBQDudley, A month or two ago, I did two whole pork shoulders in a large Egg, combined 30 lbs. I used a V-rack inside an aluminum tray and angled the shoulders on each 'arm' of the V-rack and literally had to tuck the meat in so that dome lid would close! The cook went fine (29 hours total), but would not recommend attempting that much meat in one shot as when I opened the Egg to spritz with apple juice etc, juices ran down the inner dome and onto the deck, making an oily mess of things. No reason you couldn't do a couple 10 lb boneless butts (more yield per square inch than bone-in shoulders) without compromising the cook. With a 60-65% meat yield, you'd get 12-13 lbs of pulled pork. If you do an overnight Saturday into Sunday, and another Sunday into Monday you'd get plenty of meat (say 25 lbs pulled pork--plenty for 55-60 folks). Actually by using 4 5-lb butts per round, you'd cut down the cooking time as well, as the smaller cuts will cook faster providing there's some space around each one. Good luck whatever you decide....
    Qfan

• Puj
    Puj Posts: 615
    Options
    BBQDudley,[p]I did 2 10 lbs. pork shoulder butts (bone-in)last weekend. There was a little room left to add another small one, but you want to cook with "same size" meats.[p]Looks like you have a multiple cook on the horizon but 40-45 lbs of precooked butt should feed the hungry. Time to start now![p]Have fun,
    Puj

• Tom
    Tom Posts: 189
    Options
    BBQDudley,
    Guess your gonna have to buy another egg.[p]Tom

• Unknown
    Options
    BBQDudley,
    You need aprox 42 pounds of uncooked but, figure for 40% in shrinkage and 8 oz of finished butt per person.
    Some will eat more and some will eat less, you are serving as a sandwich? If so two 4oz sandwich per person should work.
    Jim

• mike
    mike Posts: 152
    Options
    BBQDudley, When I do the butt, I always wrap it up in tin foil for the last few hours. One time, I cooked two and only needed one. I took the unused butt, still wrapped in tin-foil, and froze it. (After it cooled down).[p]It was great a few weeks later! Just thawed it and warmed it up in the oven.[p]Mike