Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Did Stike Survive?

Options
Angie2B
Angie2B Posts: 543
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Has he posted since the "Dry-Aged Prime Beef" post?

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    yep. i'm alive.

no side effects other than a mild onset of the vapors. which, if yer a guy, isn't really a bad thing at all.

last night we took my father in law to dinner at a middle eastern restaurnat for his birthday. my wife and i ordered raw kibbeh as an appetizer. one side of her family is armenian, and every christmas there would be a plate of raw kibbeh (which they called "klimah" sp?). it would sit out for hours, big platter of raw ground beef and pork. took me a couple years to try it, but it's good. you eat it with pita bread, red raw onion, some parsley. good stuff. wife's nephew's fiancee' was AGHAST when they delivered it to the table.

this isn't a pic from last night, but it's a pic i grabbed off the internet tubes that shows what it is, what it looks like.

kibbeh.jpg

so, yesterday was 75 day old beef plus raw beef. and i lived to tell about it.

...this is why i don't freak out and run from the house screaming when someone's pulled pork butt goes below 140 for half an hour.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    The picture of the 75 day old beef looked almost like a hunk of air-dried salami. At that point I'd suppose that there was so little moisture left that nothing would grow on it. How does something like that cook up? Need a sauce with it, or does it still have some juice in it?
  • stike
    Options
    no. you misunderstoodf the post.

that steak was 45 days. the pic was from a month ago when i ate it. i had the LEFTOVER bit a month later (yesterday).

that pic is of 45 day aged beef. you can't age a steak really, by itself. i mean, you can TRY, but it isn't the same thing. that steak was not aged, rather it was cut from an aged primal.

juice in steak is 98% water. aging loses water, keeps the flavor. much more flavor (and better) than regular steak.
  • Angie2B
    Options
    Egads again!!!! :S :cheer: :S Angie2B Freaking out and running out of the house screaming!

If I ate the stuff you did I would probably die! :woohoo:
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    We're going to have to give you a fitting sobriquet, like "Stike the Food Daredevil" or something.
  • Egg Pirate
    Egg Pirate Posts: 114
    Options
    Hey stike,

I'm with ya on that. My wife is Japanese and I swear they eat everything raw. I will never forget the first time I met her mom. We walked into the kitchen and she was sitting at the table with half a squid hanging out of her mouth. She had just taken a bite and thats what I saw, a dang squid in her mouth. All I could think of was my granddaddy who did some commercial fishing saying, thats bait, I don't eat bait. They slowly convinced me to eat sushi and sashimi and now I love it. But I still don't eat no dang squid! Grandma used to cook chicken and when we were done, she put it back in the oven for the next day. My Uncle is the director for shell fish and sanitation for the state of NC, and when I cooked "The Chicken" for the family last week, I thought he was going to have a heart attack when he saw thoes vegetables under that beautiful dripping chicken. He later admitted that it was some of the best food hes had in a long time.

D
  • Angie2B
    Options
    How about at the next Eggfest a "Will Stike eat it contest?" TeeHee :laugh:
  • stike
    Options
    that's not daring.... millions of folks eat that daily!
    hahaha
  • Angie2B
    Options
    I was actually OK with "The Chicken" because the juices will cook with the potatoes. Kinda like when you roast veges with a roast.
  • stike
    Options
    my brother in law last night told me about his aunt, who is thai. he'd been fishing one day, caught a mess of fish, and was cleaning them in the kitchen. she came in, saw him, and said "that's not how you clean a fish. THIS is how you clean a fish... " and she bit the head off it.

MY family, of course, is entirely perfect and normal. thankfully, most of these people are married into my wife's family and not blood relatives! hahaha
  • Angie2B
    Options
    ARRRRRGH! Stop it I can't take it......... :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
  • Egg Pirate
    Options
    Thats how my in laws are. They love fresh fish. Heads, tails stomachs, it doesn't matter!!
  • Egg Pirate
    Options
    Sorry Angie2B,

I'll move on now!

D
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    You got a point there, I used to drink the water all over South and Central America...after I went through a rather...ummm...distressing period of adjustment. It's all about having enough good bugs to fight the baddies, isn't it?
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Yeah, its not very often that most folks eat raw meat. But, if it is fresh and clean, and freshly ground, especially mixed with garlic, it'll be fine. Maybe a little gross, but fine.

Its just that if it sits awhile... Exponential bacterial growth spreads so fast. I read yesterday that once the bacteria reaches maximum saturation on the meat's surface, it eats down into the flesh, even if its put in a freezer. Thankfully, I've never run into anything that when defrosted was already putrid. eeuw
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    Billy Goat!!!

you have the stomach of one :sick:

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• stike
    Options
    consider that there are more bacteria living in and on you right now than you have cells in your body.

i like to keep a few of the baddies on hand so that my body will be used to them if they ever attack in force!

the raw meat must be ground on premises, in a grinder that is cleaned religiously daily, and sanitized. and of course the pork and beef must be good. US pork is amazingly clean. there's hasn't been a case of trich from US pork (USDA pork) in literally decades. trich comes from bear, boar, wild/feral pigs, and small farm home-grown pigs. bcteria is different, of course, but proper prep and handling, and good sources of meat go a long way toward making it safe.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Life was sooooooo much more fun when I didn't know what I was eating could kill me..

Time to head to the butcher for a hunk of cow to be turned into Steak Tartar.. YUMMMMMM

I still have a head time getting past the sear in the T-Rex.
  • stike
    Options
    hahaha

yeah
    i think you have me beat with regard to rare beef, the raw kibbeh notwithstanding!

most times i'm medium-rare/rare. cold purple center is a little too raw for me. (i know. i'm a wimp).
  • heart of an elk is good as is the liver. Join me?