Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I'm cooking something: Jamacian pulled pork

Options
JLOCKHART29
JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
OK Ya'll saw my post from last night about pulling pork alittle differant this time. I like differant. Sometimes it's boom and sometimes bust but at least it an't boaring! ;) Ok after 'tuckey toasted his butt a few days ago and still coming out it got me to wanting to pull some pork in 1/2 a day and alittle differant flavor. Local market had bone in butt on for .99 a lb so picked up two 3 1/2 lbs butts to cook at a little higher temp and cook faster being smaller. Also have never got what I consider a good strong flavor on butt by rubs of injecting priar to cooking. Set up the guru for 275 indirect with dry drip pan and rubed the butts down with my home rub: 3/5 brown sugar, 1/2 the remaining volume paprika, and 1/2 the remaining split 50/50 ground red pepper and chillie powder. Toss in a chunk hickory, 2 chunks presimmon and a chunk oak. In a spell I'll make a home made jerk sause that can be injected and shoot up our "victim" as soon as it comes out of the platue ( "victim" is a legal forum word I can use isn't it?! :pinch: ) That way the heat will not break down the jerk like a full cook. Don't know but well see. I'll post the jerk in the making in a bit so keep checking back to this post as complete cook will be hear. One of my gripes about this format that post aren't bumped back up but glad we have a forum. Hear are a few pics so far and couldn't help tossing in one off my back porch. Spring is hear and it's beautiful.
1STMARCH052.jpg
1STMARCH053.jpg
1STMARCH054.jpg
1STMARCH055.jpg
1STMARCH056.jpg

Comments

• Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    Now how could pork ever be boaring?~ 8 - )

Rascal
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    Options
    nice view from the porch!!!
    i think 'victim' is accepable. the victim was asalted with salt pepper and various other powders .....
    couple weeks ago they found a women dead in a bath tub full of milk and rice krispies.
    newspaper said they think she was the victim of a cereal killer :laugh:
    sorry,,i have no excuse other that it is friday.
    bill
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    Sure hope you don't have to endure too many fridays!~
    8 - )
  • JLOCKHART29
    Options
    You been into the wine all ready haven't you bill! :laugh:
  • lowercasebill
    Options
    not yet..... still doing cappuccino's ...wine soon ..just a long week and a dumb joke
    will be egging the tri tips tonight.
  • JLOCKHART29
    Options
    Went ahead and made the jerk sause. 1/2 onion, 1 1/2 oz Turkey 101, 3 tsp EVOO, 3 tsp worcestershire, 1 tsp black pepper, 1/2 tsp allspice, 1/2 tsp thyme, 1 tsp salt, 3 heaping tsp brown sugar, 1/2 tsp nutmeg, 1/2 tsp ginger, two pinches taragon and tobassaco or some forum of hot pepper to your taste. Toss it all in blinder and liquified. Made about 1 cup of liquid. Butts are 2 1/2 hrs in and at 155 internal.
    1STMARCH059.jpg
    1STMARCH060.jpg
    1STMARCH062.jpg
    1STMARCH063.jpg
  • JLOCKHART29
    Options
    Only one Porter so far but its early. Fixing to fire up the Gaggia now. Look what the mail lady brought a few min. ago! Roasted day before yesterday! :woohoo:
    1STMARCH064.jpg
  • BamaBackdraft
    Options
    Looks like some good pork around the JL spread. Spring has sprung and pollen fills the air around here. Doing my first butt cook and wish I had the Guru. ;) Figured better to learn old school before going high tech. :whistle: Will definetly be getting one down the road.
  • TomM24
    TomM24 Posts: 1,366
    Options
    JL it looks like you've got some ganja in that bag to go with the jerked pork..

Just kiddin.
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    looking good ;)

is there fish in that pond??? and if so when you gonna show us how fresh of a fish you can throw on that egg of yours :silly:

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    Looks great JL...just dont fall asleep!! ;) ..and ok..I'll bite...what's the Jamaican part??
  • lowercasebill
    Options
    jamakin me hungry lookin at the pics????
  • JLOCKHART29
    Options
    Look at the 3ed set of pics and the comantary in this thread. That is a Jamacian jerk sause I'm going to shoot it with when claser to done.
  • JLOCKHART29
    Options
    Yep got catfish, bream and bass. Going to do some soon!
  • JLOCKHART29
    Options
    Thats the tarragon I grow out back B) . Can't give all my "secreats" away! :P
  • lowercasebill
    Options
    looks like good stuff, after you get your next egg you will have to get one of these and start roasting your own. actually i roasted over an open flame for a year before i bought this.

espresso001.jpg

espresso004.jpg

espresso008.jpg
  • JLOCKHART29
    Options
    SO MANY TOYS I WANT, SO LITTLE MONEY!!! :laugh:
  • Eggtucky
    Options
    aha!...well that wasnt included in your original post..so I was like..ok..what's Jamaican bout that? :whistle: ...I like bill's 'jamakin me hungry' explanation :laugh:
  • Okeejohn
    Okeejohn Posts: 297
    Options
    Next time add some Jamaican Rum as a maranade (1-2 capfulls) and if you can, get some pimento leaves to add to the fire to give it an authenic smoke.You can purchase Pimento wood or leaves on the internet.

John
  • JLOCKHART29
    Options
    All right, hear is the butt 6 hrs. in at 175 internal. Set them up on my sink and shot them up with the jerk then returned to the Egg with another chunk of pressimon and hickory wood to finnish the cook.
    1STMARCH065.jpg
    1STMARCH066.jpg
    1STMARCH068.jpg
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    The 150 Rum and gange smoke mon

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• JLOCKHART29
    Options
    Where you been Steven? Been missing you?!
  • Little Steven
    Options
    JL,

Been working man. Plus my 20 year old son borrowed my laptop and spilled beer all over it.
    I can still read on mine but can't reply. We'll get it fixed. How's Jake?

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven
    Options
    JL,

Been working man. Plus my 20 year old son borrowed my laptop and spilled beer all over it.
    I can still read on mine but can't reply. We'll get it fixed. How's Jake?

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    Beauty, JL. Let us know if this is boom or bust.
  • JLOCKHART29
    Options
    Pig is pulled, digesting and remains zipped up for future feeds. Made sandwitches and baked potatoes w/pork. Hit 193 internal at 7:00 pm and pulled her off. You can see how much of the total butt was waist in the pic with Jake. Verdict: Best I have done BUT for an unespected reason. The late cook jerk inject added SOME flavor but I was dissapointed in how little. As you can tell from the recipe the jerk itself is very strong but got lost in the cook even though it was only "cooked" about 2 hrs. Some folks would thank it was plenty strong but it didn't have that WOW THIS IS SURE DIFFERANT effect I wanted. However the two small 3 1/2 lbs butts produced more bark and smokie flavor than the bigger butts I have done in the past and gave a better over all product than I have done b4. So to sum up I am still in search of the robust butt flavor I crave. The hunt continues! B) Also a little strawberrys and cake for dessert.
    1STMARCH069.jpg
    1STMARCH071.jpg
    1STMARCH074.jpg
    1STMARCH075.jpg
    1STMARCH076.jpg
  • Eggtucky
    Options
    dang..looks pretty darn good to me JL...I have yet to do an injection that really made a huge difference in flavor..between the rub which is cooked in and the natural strong flavor of pork butt..its hard to inject anything that makes a huge difference in flavor..it will help the moistness, but rarely affects the flavor....
  • AlwaysGolf
    AlwaysGolf Posts: 704
    Options
    JL, those look good to me. The stuffed chicken breast you did the other night looked really good will have to try the stuffed chicken breast one weekend when the wife is working.
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    Well i was wondering how much it would change the flavor.... thanks for answering one of my questions..... now the reason i think there was more bark is there was a higher surface to mass ratio... i love bark one of my favorite things about making pulled pork is pulling it and "Sampling" the bark.......

although i love to do pulled pork because it is really easy to impress others even by bringing "frozen in the food saver bag" pulled pork is verry appealing to most people....

i tried a boston but a while back and instead of making a brine i just placed two boston butts in one of those large ziplock bags with 2- two liters of coke classic for 48 hours... even though i pulled them from the bags and sat them on the egg (later i came back to a big puddle under my egg because i did not let it drain) i think i could have done things a little diffrent.... you know with a little mustard and rub and made the better butt...

i know my "brine" is a little elementary..... but it may be able to help you with trying to add more flavor......

HTH

tell jake me and phoebe said hi

crackedeggfirday002.jpg

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• JLOCKHART29
    Options
    Brine my butt.... I like the idea. Would carry the spice into the meat more uniformed. There is no doubt the smaller butts, not the jerk, gave the better taste due, like you said, to increased surface are. Will do the smller ones from now on. Phoebe looks like she's not real happy that Egg looks cool! :laugh: Cook her something!