Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Baby Back Ribs - Foil , No Foil

Options
JM
JM Posts: 39
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was reading some of the posts a few days ago regarding baby back ribs - to foil or not to foil - and have discovered it is a matter of preference. I have only tried making baby back ribs using the 3/1/1.5 indirect method and have not ventured away from this technique yet.[p]I do have a couple of questions regarding the use of the foil during the process:
1. I have noticed that after cooking indirect for 3 hours and then placing ribs in foil, the meat temperature increases dramatically during the 1 hour foil stage. In most cases the ribs internal temp starts at 175° and jumps to 200° by the end of the foil stage. Once I remove the foil and return to indirect the internal meat temperature will fall 15 - 20° (back down to 180-185°). Why does it do this? I am guessing the foil creates an environment that steams the meat thus increasing the temperature rapidly. Here is the questions - If the meat temp reaches 200° during the foil stage, if I continue cooking for another hour or so out of the foil will the meat begin to dry out and be overdone? Has the meat temp really reached 200° or is tricked into appearing the meat is done?
2. Has anyone tried putting holes at the bottom of the foil to drain all that liquid that builds up in the foil during this stage or is the liquid that is created by the steam important for this process?
3. Since I have yet to try the non foil method can anyone explain how I might expect the final product to be different from the foil method?
Thanks.
JM

Comments

• Trout Bum
    Trout Bum Posts: 343
    Options
    JM,
    The ones cooked without foil have a little more texture to them.
    B D

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    JM,[p]Ribs cooking techniques (baby backs, spares, and beef) are entirely a matter of personal preference with the result dictating the preferred method. It is simply what makes the best ribs for you and yours. Some sauce during the cook and some do not, providing dipping sauces when serving.[p]Cooking in foil in the Egg is much like using an oven bag in the oven as it does create a separate environment for the meal. This environment will heat faster (no venting) and hold more moisture than the environment it is cooked in. The rise in meat temperature is normal as the environment is very moist and water conducts heat quite readily. Once removed from the foil, the meat temp will certainly drop because the bones have yet to come up to temp. The last part of the staged cook waits for the bones to finish heating so the meat will pull cleanly from them.[p]A rib cook (any rib from any animal) is the balance of heating the bones without drying the meat. A direct low temp cook can be applied (with moving/flipping to adjust for hot spots/thinner meat) as well as a higher temp indirect cook with a foil wrap to help avoid drying from the higher heat. Either method seems to take the same amount of time to produce the "pull cleanly from the bone" when biting into the finished meal.[p]Personally, I favor the direct cooking method (all ribs) as I have become accustomed to understanding the cook as it progresses and I like the results. I have cooked using the staged method and had problems with overcooking the meal as the meat tended to fall freely from the bone and I could not create the slight crust and flavor to the meat that a direct cook does. I do cook the meal unsauced.[p]I am not sure I have helped you other than attempt to encourage you experiment in the hopes of finding your new very best way to cook ribs for you and yours.[p]Spin
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    JM,
    That is a great post below by Spin. I can certainy recommend that if you have not tried ribs without foil, it deserves a go. Jim W and Qfan, just to mention two folks, have it down beautifully...indirect mostly, never with foil. Their ribs were a highlight of the eggfest this year. Nicely crusted and moist as you could want. If either of them had used foil, they would not have been the same.[p]And direct ribs, though more of an effort, are definitely worth giving a try or two also! Not trying to knock foil...I use it on occasion....but you already have that cook down. Time to do some more 'spermentin'![p]Beers to you, and good luck in your quest for the perfect rib.[p]NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ